Is This Natural?

LassieGal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Husband and I are being continually flummoxed by these phones. Did we get lemons? Is this natural?

Me:
App that worked perfectly last week no longer works. This is a timer app that I have used on old phone with Froyo since 2009. Worked perfectly all last week, now makes no sound when timer goes off. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Still no sound.
Phone appears to go on the fritz when plugged in to charger. Tried to use map app last Friday and map came up, but would not respond to directions buttons or the button which centers you on map. Had to unplug and reboot; then it worked. Plus the map would not turn landscape. Again, worked fine earlier in the week! Plugged into charger (bought from Verizon; specifically made for phone) yesterday--was taking off charger and it said the phone was charged; then abruptly changed and said it was not charged. I had to plug it in again.
This morning it told me I had no data feed. That's because data feed was turned off. I didn't turn it off.

Husband:
Made two phone calls in a row yesterday morning to same place. Phone rebooted in middle of call. Third time it finally worked.
I called him yesterday in a store to see where he was. Phone did not ring or vibrate.

What the heck is going on?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmm that's odd. Have you downloaded a new app within the last week? Do you have any task killers?

Do you still use the charger that came with the phone along with the USB cable? Sometimes 3rd party chargers/cables make the phone act all crazy.

OP
LassieGal

LassieGal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hi, dezymond--

We have the chargers that came with the telephones, bought directly from Verizon. I just ordered the battery charger and spare battery for both phones, directly from Verizon, so it is what is made for the phones.

This morning I called husband about something and suddenly the sound got fuzzy and MY phone rebooted. Same routine when I went into maps this morning: plugged it in, pulled up the map (it did turn landscape, and I could bring up the highway map). But after that all the function buttons were greyed out so I could not click on the "layers" button to add the traffic function. I was at a traffic light and had to reboot the phone to be able to go into the map and click the "layers" button.

I just happened to pick up a Consumer Reports where cell phones are reviewed. This phone did not rate as well as the Galaxy S or the Maxx, but it got a nice respectable rating, in fact one point better than an iPhone 4S! So I'm wondering what the dickens is going on.

I did load "Juice Defender" on it last week to see if it would help with the monumental battery drain, but shut it off in case it was the cause of the problem. Does not seem to help and phone is draining as quickly as ever. This morning it lost 5 points on its battery sitting with no screen on and no functions running in about a fifteen-minute period.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Noticed your location is outside ATL, does your specific area have a strong 4g signal? The phone trying to maintain a 4g signal is a real battery drainer. Download "Gsam battery monitor" and that'll break down how much each app is using the battery.

Regarding your Google maps, try going to Settings - Apps - Maps - Clear Cache, see if that helps ya out.

Also, if you could check to see if you have the latest OS, settings - about phone - check for updates - and hit "check now".

If your issues still persist, you may have to factory reset. Even if you go in for an exchange Verizon will have you factory reset first and then send you on your way for a day or two. Save yourself the time of being told to do that at the store or over the phone and just do it yourself. If the problems remain then you can tell them you've done a factory reset and they should offer you a CLNR.

OP
LassieGal

LassieGal

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Well, New Year's Eve we finally got fed up and went to Verizon to list our litany of complaints. It took a while, and we had to go home first, call Verizon support, and then go back, but we found out that since we bought the phones on Black Friday, we had until January 15 to return them for another phone or get brand new ones. We didn't have money for other phones, so we just swapped for two new ones. Performance since then has [knock on wood] been flawless. I guess we just got a couple of lemons the first time.

Charmed

Reaction score
Glad to hear they're working out. I've had no real problems since I got mine when it first came out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Glad to hear you got a pair of new Gnex phones and even better that they're working the way they should be. Hope you're enjoying them like how you were supposed to your first pair.