Is there just a ton of nonsense on the app market?

rsarno

Reaction score
I search the app store desperately looking for apps to use, and they mostly seem like garbage.

so far i have these:
docs2go
handcent sms
funny jokes (wont work offline)
busty babes (wont work offline)
Borat Soundboard
meebo
google sky

Thats about it that i can remember.

In comparison, I have about 25 semi-entertaining apps on my iphone. Stuff like Paper Toss, Field Runners, Bejeweled (way better on iphone), etc.

I feel like there arent many apps that i can waste time using while on the subway, as compared to the content on the apple app store.

With 60,000 apps i would have thought i can at least find 20 that are attractive to me :(

beneharris

Reaction score
there's lots of garbage in the market
there really is, they need to get better about weeding them out.

there are a lot of good time killer ones though, things like homerunbattle. there are a few really cool ones that let you direct plane traffic, but i forget the name of them

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you think the market is bad? have you honestly done any browsing in the apple app store? there are MANY more apps there, and really not many that are more useful.. i would say there is a much higher percentage of crap in the app store. besides, most of our stuff is free. just sayin

cpjr

Reaction score
you think the market is bad? have you honestly done any browsing in the apple app store? there are MANY more apps there, and really not many that are more useful.. i would say there is a much higher percentage of crap in the app store. besides, most of our stuff is free. just sayin

I kinda disagree....there are more crap apps in the appstore, but thats partly because there are a couple hundred thousand apps in the appstore, and not even close to that in the market.

But if you look at decent, useful, worthwhile apps......the appstore also wins. I love my droid and incredible, but I honestly dont see how anyone can say the market (at this point) is better.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score

I kinda disagree....there are more crap apps in the appstore, but thats partly because there are a couple hundred thousand apps in the appstore, and not even close to that in the market.

But if you look at decent, useful, worthwhile apps......the appstore also wins. I love my droid and incredible, but I honestly dont see how anyone can say the market (at this point) is better.

Android Market isnt better and never will be. Almost all of the iPhone devs wont touch Android due to the fact there are so many different versions of the Android OS.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Jewellust and zenonia!

Both fun games.

The problem we face is the freedom. We have to weed out bad apps and crap ourselves, but I like open source, and I have no problem taking with other users to find the good stuff. I think it promotes community in a sense.

But I do agree that we will have a hard time with big companies developing until we strip the fragmentation out.

br91655

Reaction score
there's lots of garbage in the market
there really is, they need to get better about weeding them out.

there are a lot of good time killer ones though, things like homerunbattle. there are a few really cool ones that let you direct plane traffic, but i forget the name of them

So, should Google employ Steve Jobs to decide what goes and what stays?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
With 60,000 apps i would have thought i can at least find 20 that are attractive to me :(
Why are you manually wading through apps? Do you realize how little 20 out of 60,000 is? Try relying on app reviews (such as the ones in this very subforum) rather than brute force.