Is there a vocal ebook reader?

Gareee

Reaction score
One of the "features" people spoke about with the speech synthesis on the androids, was the possibility of having ebooks read out loud.

Has anyone found an app that actually does this? I don't see an option for it in any of the major ebook reader apps.

thanatost

Reaction score
Readerdroid

Hi Garee,

you could try "readerdroid", it's a very simple application which does exactly what you need. But before you need to set up the texts in the web ReaderDroid

I use it to listen articles, ebook chapters, etc while I'm driving to home.

I hope it will be useful

OP
G

Gareee

Reaction score
If nothing else, its worth looking into. I'd think passing text to the synth software built in would be fairly easy to do. I'm surprised no one has really nailed it with a popular app yet.

Hmmm.. looks like you would have to cut and paste an entire chapter of book into the text entry field there. Not promising for books, I think.

Last edited:

jemmydoug

Reaction score
The last couple of months/weeks have been busy in the world of ebook readers, with many manufacturers updating their lineup in time for Christmas. We have therefore gone through the ebook readers on our 5″ and 6″ comparison tables, and have updated the list with the latest models and their specs.

OP
G

Gareee

Reaction score
I found one that initially works VERY well: Moonreader plus. It'll even allow you to select the voice engine, so you can use the superior free svox engine with the pay us or uk female voices.

Reading back science fiction or fantasy with unique made up words can of course always be problematic, but my wife said what she was hearing sounded better then some of her audio books.

I still need to see if if can save bookmarks or save the place it was last reading from, but for now it looks like the best possible option.

OP
G

Gareee

Reaction score
The last couple of months/weeks have been busy in the world of ebook readers, with many manufacturers updating their lineup in time for Christmas. We have therefore gone through the ebook readers on our 5″ and 6″ comparison tables, and have updated the list with the latest models and their specs.

Where might I find this comparison list? Link?