Is there a trick to S-Beam

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
My brother-in-law just got a Note 2 over the thanksgiving weekend, and we were trying to share a couple videos via s-beam, and it was excruciating. We must have tried for ten min. putting the phones back to back, sliding them up and down(like a weird version of phones having sex), rotating. Sometimes his would notice, sometimes mine would, and then it was difficult to finally get the phones to transfer. We did finally get it to work, but it was far from cool. Are there any tricks that would make this better, or should i stick with email and texting.

mikecolorama

Reaction score
My brother-in-law just got a Note 2 over the thanksgiving weekend, and we were trying to share a couple videos via s-beam, and it was excruciating. We must have tried for ten min. putting the phones back to back, sliding them up and down(like a weird version of phones having sex), rotating. Sometimes his would notice, sometimes mine would, and then it was difficult to finally get the phones to transfer. We did finally get it to work, but it was far from cool. Are there any tricks that would make this better, or should i stick with email and texting.
i had the same issues this evening with my mom's Galaxy Nexus. some things would work and some wouldn't. for some reason, it didn't seem as flawless as it does in the commercials.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Looks so easy in that video, and in the commercials. How close do the NFC chips need to be to initiate the S-Beam feature. I found myself rotating the phones, and sliding them around to get them to recognize each other. I would think this would be easier on two S3's since the chip will be in the same position, but that doesn't seem to be the case on the Note2. Does anyone know exactly where on the phone the NFC chip is located? It says you can move the phones apart after the transfer is started. How close do the phones need to stay, once the transfer is initiated?

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
other than the fact you have to manually turn it on i've never had an issue getting it to work. Course i've only ever tried with "quickpay" machines and my wife's GS3

drew

Reaction score
It is simple with two S3s for exactly the reason you describe. We have two in the family and are constantly using it to send pics to each other.

It probably is a chip location issue. I know someone who was able to send stuff via NFC between a Skyrocket and a Windows Lumia. He also had to do the rotation, perpendicular trial / error. I think once you figure out the sweet spot, it will get smoother.