Is there a Java emulator like MIDLet?

bfranker

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Just got a Droid and on my previous Windows Mobile 6.1 phone there was a Java emulator (Intent Java MIDlet Manager ) which allowed you to run jad/jar files on your Windows Mobile device. I'm not overly familiar with this to begin with but was wondering if there is something out there for the Droid which does similar?

What I am trying to do is be able to view my Speco DVR on my Droid. Here is the page which has a demo...

Speco Technologies - TH SERIES live demo

Near the bottom of the page there is a demo as well as a link to the jad/jar files.

Does anybody know if this is something that is or will soon be possible with the Droid?

Thanks!!!

JayMonster

Reaction score
No, since Android does not support Swing it cannot cannot support straight jar files. It has to be recompiled into an apk to work on the Android platform.

OP
B

bfranker

Reaction score
Ah, well, crap. LOL! Thanks the for the answer, JayMonster!

Hopefully this is something that will come in the future... not too distant future that is. I like the Droid enough that I'm willing to sacrafice this very cool feature (being able to view live cameras at your home/business!) for the time being :D

Time to get on the guys at Speco to make an app that works with the Droid! LOL

JayMonster

Reaction score
Ah, well, crap. LOL! Thanks the for the answer, JayMonster!

Hopefully this is something that will come in the future... not too distant future that is. I like the Droid enough that I'm willing to sacrafice this very cool feature (being able to view live cameras at your home/business!) for the time being :D

Time to get on the guys at Speco to make an app that works with the Droid! LOL

Depending on what libraries (i.e. Swing) they use, this may not be all that difficult for them to do since the source is already in Java.

OP
B

bfranker

Reaction score
Actually, I just did some searching and it looks like this may work!?!?

Went to this site...

http://www.netmite.com/android/

Clicked on the link to covert j2mes into apk (since you said that is what I needed. LOL), told it the .jar and .jad files. It gave me an .apk file. I put that on the phone. Tried to run it but it told me I needed the J2ME Runner file so I downloaded that and installed it. I didn't select any specific settings for the .apk file so the screen text wasn't that great but when I ran it, I actually was able to see the DVR program! I tried to connect but got some error code (got the same error code with my windows mobile phone too but only played with it for a few minutes before I went to Verizon and converted over to the Droid. Haha) but this is definitely a very good start!

I think just being able to see the program and navigate through it means that it'll probably work once I figure out what settings are messed up.

If anybody plays with this and gets it figured out, please let me know :) Thanks!!!

JayMonster

Reaction score
I tried this a while back on my G1 and never had any success with it, thus I was wary to recommend it as a possible solution. But who knows... maybe they are having better luck with it now.