Is the Droid X camera really this bad?

jcardona1

Reaction score
farther away, greater depth of field and more focus. closer, shallower depth of field, less focus

depth-of-field-and-distance.gif

smokiedabong

Reaction score
You are all wrong , the problem is not the focus , the problem is that Motorola still uses the same crappy manufacturer for it's camera module .

jcardona1

Reaction score
You are all wrong , the problem is not the focus , the problem is that Motorola still uses the same crappy manufacturer for it's camera module .
hahaha, thats what ive been saying all along! the iphone has a superior camera. period. end of story. accept it.

ranterbul

Reaction score

How can that be when, according to Moto, this is the first phone with a mechanical shutter and a whole new image processor. That's why it has that hump on the back.

smokiedabong

Reaction score

How can that be when, according to Moto, this is the first phone with a mechanical shutter and a whole new image processor. That's why it has that hump on the back.

That doesn't mean nothing , it still a crappy sensor . Look at a sample taken with the Droid X with it's new image processor and extra bulk added to fit the better 8 MP camera
Don't forget to select 720p
[video=youtube;YQQC7Fs2Uz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQQC7Fs2Uz0]YouTube - Motorola Droid X - 720p Video Sample[/video]

And look at a sample taken with a 5 MP camera with no extra bulk

[video=youtube;bHQs_DpFFoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHQs_DpFFoI]YouTube - Samsung S8500 Wave sample 720p HD video[/video]

or

[video=youtube;xQtW2X30LLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQtW2X30LLs]YouTube - Samsung I9000 Galaxy S 720P Video sample[/video]

or how about this phone more than a year old

[video=youtube;jFWVZ7tkXWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFWVZ7tkXWQ]YouTube - Omnia HD 720p temp[/video]

jcardona1

Reaction score
WOW! the camera on the Droid X is absolute garbage. what a total fail for motorola. all those other phones take much better video

darreno1

Reaction score
IMO, to make a true comparison you have make the videos all at the same time, same location etc. Each of those are different so it's hard to make a good judgement. Although I will admit the Samsung s8500's is without a doubt the best in the bunch. Also, as pointed out by a member in another thread, the Droid's video does have a reddish hue to it in the center. Maybe it was you smokie who mentioned it, can't remember. Still too early to judge though.

just4747

Reaction score
What an absolute disappointment. Not one single photo or video sample from this phone looks good at all. Of course there is such a huge downside to the X now IMO, always too good to be true.

I wish somebody could ask the Motorola guys from that conference why the cam is actually such **** lol.

Last edited:

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This thread is really starting to look super fanboy.
I am probably the first person who pre-ordered a droid X on here (the first to say it and post a photo anyway) so i am not hating. But really guys, stop making excuses. The camera on the motodroid isn't great, and the droid X wont be much better.

It will work when youre out and want to capture something or grab a quick video. I don't believe anywhere they tout it as something you can replace a point and shoot or DSLR for. We should all just slow down on all the "but but waaahhh its not exact equal". Time and time again you can see it has major issues as far as filtering and balancing light. Let's just accept it and move on.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org

I sure hope you're not including my persistent posts about focus in your statement. If so, you're making WAY to large of a blanket statement. If not, then make sure you realize how many of these posts actually fall into that category, because I don't think many do!

As for me, I have NEVER claimed that the camera is good. I have simply claimed that the photos being used are insufficient to make any objective judgements on the quality. I guarantee you that you can go take a cheapass $50 point-and-shoot camera, give it to somebody who knows what they're doing and give me a $5,000 DSLR, and if we took pictures of the same thing, I betcha the $50 camera's picture would win!

My argument has NEVER been that the Droid X camera was better than ANYTHING nor even that it was good. I've only been arguing that the pictures shown to us prove absolutely nothing. It does IMPLY that it is probably more difficult to carelessly take a better picture with the Droid X than with the iPhone. But it proves nothing.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

I sure hope you're not including my persistent posts about focus in your statement. If so, you're making WAY to large of a blanket statement. If not, then make sure you realize how many of these posts actually fall into that category, because I don't think many do!

As for me, I have NEVER claimed that the camera is good. I have simply claimed that the photos being used are insufficient to make any objective judgements on the quality. I guarantee you that you can go take a cheapass $50 point-and-shoot camera, give it to somebody who knows what they're doing and give me a $5,000 DSLR, and if we took pictures of the same thing, I betcha the $50 camera's picture would win!

My argument has NEVER been that the Droid X camera was better than ANYTHING nor even that it was good. I've only been arguing that the pictures shown to us prove absolutely nothing. It does IMPLY that it is probably more difficult to carelessly take a better picture with the Droid X than with the iPhone. But it proves nothing.

Nope, im talking about in this and the v iphone4 thread where people make excuses. Is there a difference in between changing iso settings and if you can focal lengths? Yep! But nobody trying to capture a quick photo on a phone is going to be doing that.

Sooo to sum it up. For pulling phone out of pocket, taking pic, looking at pic, the X isn't the best. That being said, who cares. Least we can look at the bad photos on a tv screen. :)

soba1

Reaction score
hahaha, thats what ive been saying all along! the iphone has a superior camera. period. end of story. accept it.

Thats why I have a Nikon D90.....
For on the fly quick photos hey work with what you have yes the iphone
has the better camera. So when we get out our new devices playing with the camera settings gives us something to do to see if we can come close
to the iphones.
Knowing my anal self that is just what I will be doing....:icon_ banana:

Darkseider

Reaction score
The pictures are OK on both. The iPhone seems to be more saturated where the Droid X is more natural color. The iPhone seems to have sharper edges whereas the Droid X while in focus has a softer finish.

jcardona1

Reaction score

Thats why I have a Nikon D90.....
For on the fly quick photos hey work with what you have yes the iphone
has the better camera. So when we get out our new devices playing with the camera settings gives us something to do to see if we can come close
to the iphones.
Knowing my anal self that is just what I will be doing....:icon_ banana:
nikon shooter woot! i have the same thing :D