Is having a Xoom necessary when you already have a smart phone and a laptop?

GSdub510

Reaction score
I really like what I see from the Xoom but I'm getting a laptop for high school graduation and I have a Samsung fascinate. What can this device do that the other two can't? The main reason I would get one is for streaming video on a larger screen but again I can do that on the 4 inch galaxy S screen.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

letmebuzz

Reaction score
Its depend. I have all of you mentioned above, but after getting my Motorola xoom, I stopped using my smartphone. I use it mostly for surfing purpose and it is more user friendly than laptop.

Reaction score
I have an HP tm2 (touch screen laptop) and a Samsung fascinate, the fascinate gets used now for mostly quick searches on the go and for tethering to my zoom. The laptop is only used for when I need to do heavy word documents or presentations and for streaming video in the far reaches of my house because it gets better wifi connection. Otherwise thexoom is where it is at for me.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
Thanks paimtballer. What do you use the xoom for mostly? I want one for using HBO go, web browsing and tv shows stream, and i think it's the best Tablet for that, i have tested it several times at bestbuy.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I don't have a Xoom, I have an iPad, however I asked myself if it was worth it, as I have a laptop and a Droid as well. I've found that my phone is used for texting and calling (duh), reading email on the go, and for Twitter/Foursquare. The tablet gets used for responding to emails, light web browsing, and note-taking apps. I use my PC for heavy web browsing, document writing, and any tech-related hackery I do.

letmebuzz

Reaction score
GSdub if you want mostly for online streaming and watching video than I will prefer to have motorola xoom or other android tablet which will be available soon and worth waiting.....

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I was debating the same thing. But after buying my Xoom about 3 weeks ago, I've found like others that I only use my phone now for basic features, like texting, phone calls and GasBuddy/FourSquare/Latitude/Weather etc while on the go.
Since my area doesn't have large areas of free WiFi, my Xoom is restricted to home or work or other limited places and more while I'm stationary. One BIG seller for me is for a country wide trip later this year, it will give me something to do - read eBooks, upload & watch movies, play games.
My laptop is used for the heavier graphics stuff, streaming movies to my TV, etc.
So rest assured, you'll find plenty of things a tablet is great for.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have a laptop there is no reason for a xoom IMO. Laptops are so much more advanced than tablets. I had a tablet but sold it because I was using my fascinate more because of its 3g and I already have a computer. Tablet OSs are far inferior to computer OSs.

Sent from my fascinate

wcjeep

Reaction score
My wife uses the Xoom as her E Reader. My daughter watches movies on the go. It also easily tethers thru bluetooth with my Droid X for internet access. I've tried to tether it with a Fascinate. Doesn't seem to work for internet access.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you're using it for. I don't have a Xoom, I have the iPad but the reason I have it is the same. I use it because it's easier to work the internet with then the phone is. Plus apps are so much cooler (at least iPad, not sure about Xoom).

Now if you get by with your phone just fine then you don't need it. For me it just made things much easier.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
If you have a laptop there is no reason for a xoom IMO. Laptops are so much more advanced than tablets. I had a tablet but sold it because I was using my fascinate more because of its 3g and I already have a computer. Tablet OSs are far inferior to computer OSs.

Sure, laptops are great, until you try to carry it everywhere. Portability is much better with a tablet than a laptop.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
and a smart phone is even more portable than a tablet or computer. Its all preference. I have just decided that pads dont really offer much to me.

Sent from my fascinate

matt2783

Reaction score
I still don't really get the need. I hear what people are saying but a laptop/smartphone combo seems to cover all the bases, a tablet just seems unnecessary.

If I were to buy one though, I'd get an ipad so at least I'd have some new apps and a new OS to play with.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I really like what I see from the Xoom but I'm getting a laptop for high school graduation and I have a Samsung fascinate. What can this device do that the other two can't? The main reason I would get one is for streaming video on a larger screen but again I can do that on the 4 inch galaxy S screen.

I would go so far as to say having a tablet isn't necessary at all. But it sure would be cool to have one.

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
Thanks everyone especially stelv. I think I'm fine with my fascinate and new laptop for now. Plus starting college in San Diego as a freshman in 3 months, i don't know how much time I would have for the xoom to make it worth it...