Is Droid Turbo getting Lollipop?

Most VZW Exclusive phones have been rootable. But I don't care, as someone said, with the ability to disable apps, rooting isn't a big deal to me anymore.

After seeing this I'd say we aren't far behind. Although Big Red does have to get their filthy paws all over it, being able to simply "disable app" is a great way to look past the bloat wear which I'm ok with. I think we'll be happy with it when it arrives, but then there are always those that are hard to please.

Reactions: cr6
Well said PereDroid & kimball13A. With the ability & ease we now have with disabling and hiding bloat, it's really become a non issue on today's flagship devices. Root is getting less and less important with the amazing speed, battery life and current OS version today's devices currently provide out of the box.
Of course there will always be those who cry about the lack of a quick & timely OS updates, regardless of how insignificant it is. The recent update from 4.4.4 KitKat to 5.0 lollipop has shown us that "newer" isn't necessarily "better".

S5 tap'n

The other thing is, honestly, with every OS update we get new features, and new ways to exploit the framework changes to do things that previously we needed root to do.

Hopefully that continues.

But I still say the Turbo is getting lollipop. It's just a matter of time.

Kinda makes you think "turbo" speed should have been applied to updating the software, no? :rolleyes:

Reactions: cr6
That was a verizon corp store sales pitch 10/30/14, yep, turbo will be one of the first units to get A5.0 along with MotoX. Sounded very logical as this was Vs big deal phone at the time. I really don't care as I am quite happy with the KK4.4.4 version we are on.

The thing is, I believe they've figured out that by giving us "some" control of what we always wanted control of, they can further protect the control of things they don't want us to have and by doing so will reduce the demand for root which in turn will reduce the aggressiveness with which it is attacked and strived for.

In other words, by giving us the ability to hide or disable bloat, they don't have to fear having the Wireless Tether hack out there. THAT'S where I WOULD want root, but that's also what Verizon is most likely the hottest about since it directly reduces the "potential" for additional revenue, AND increases the consumption of data - especially on Unlimited plans.

The bloat is still taking up valuable real estate. That's why after only 13 days of getting the turbo on 10/30/14 I took the 32 back and paid the extra $50 for the 64.

Yes, it is, and that's unfortunate. Especially with all the reliance on internal memory over expanded storage, and many phones not even having SD slots anymore. They tell us to "use the cloud" and then nail us on data usage. Coincidence? I think my tinfoil hat has something to say about that! ;)

Seriously, though, it's a vicious cycle. Still, another way to think about it is how nasty a security hole root actually can be for the unwary and look at all the people who were rooting their phones just because they could. I think it should be an option, don't get me wrong, but it should be an option like unlocking your bootloader through the manufacturer. Relatively simple, but with the risks spelled out, and with consequences. My Moto X developer edition kept its warranty when I unlocked the bootloader, but that's because I got the developer edition. Carrier-subsidized phones are a different animal entirely.

Saw this in Droid Life " While it was most impressive the way Verizon and Samsung pushed out Lollipop, surprising owners of the Galaxy S5 a couple of weeks ago, we are getting reports from readers that the update is destroying their battery life. "

So it needs more soaking perhaps
A friend of mine has an HTC One M8 and has complained of a big battery life hit after his phone received lollipop via T-Mobile a week or so ago. I warned him previously about the early versions of lollipop (5.0.1) being buggy, but he had to have it....

A friend of mine has an HTC One M8 and has complained of a big battery life hit after his phone received lollipop via T-Mobile a week or so ago. I warned him previously about the early versions of lollipop (5.0.1) being buggy, but he had to have it....
Good warning, The Turbo has been waiting for an update to 5.?.?. for a while and is still waiting with no idea when to expect it. Most T.B. owners are happy with this wait because K.K. and the Turbo are working very good together. Mine works great no bugs on KK ... yes " okay Google " won't turn on my Bluetooth, wifi or get me a beer, ( nor will my wife, but I shall keep her ) I'm just going to hang in there.

I'm just fine waiting too. When it does come I hope we just skip all the way to 5.1

Me too. Lollipop is a nice OS for sure, and although there are still things that need fine tuning it's miles above where we were this time last year.

The bloat is still taking up valuable real estate. That's why after only 13 days of getting the turbo on 10/30/14 I took the 32 back and paid the extra $50 for the 64.
I have to disagree here.
I just checked all my bloat ware apps: less then 250Mb. Hardly a ton of real estate.
I do agree everyone should get the 64 but bloat ware clocking in at not even a third of a gig is hardly huge.

Turbo Tap'n

I feel that bloat should be able to be completely removed... No just disabled..

To me it's like selling you a car.. And there's always 2 people in your car... (a tad drastic but its how I feel) I bought a 4 passenger car.. But can only use 2 seats..

Back