? iPhone beats Droid in Manhattan speed tests

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I tested the browser there and it does take a little longer than the iPhone to load..

Not here, My Droid smokes my wifes work iPhone.....

boatman2220

Reaction score
And you have to take into account that there will be more updates coming for the Droid, faster and richer user experience.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Lets assume this research is valid. Here's a hypothetical question: Would you rather have 1000kbps in 20% of a given area or 700kbps in 95% of the same area? Simple answer IMO.
Exactly. Besides in none of Verizon's commercials do they claim to be the fastest 3G, they boast theirs as being the most expansive and reliable. So this study on speed tests is more smoke and mirrors.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
It is undeniable that HSDPA and HSDPA+ is faster in theory than EV-DO. But the fact remains that you are not getting those ideal speeds everywhere, even in locations such as Manhattan which is supposed to be a solid blue area on that 3G map.

I think that's the key point here. AT&T's implementation of their 3G network IS faster than Verizon's implementation of their 3G network. However, that's only under ideal conditions. In the real world, you're not going to have ideal conditions very often.

Verizon's 3G coverage-area is so above-and-beyond superior to AT&T's 3G coverage-area, that it really doesn't matter that you get faster speeds on AT&T in those few ideal locations. You get so little coverage everywhere else... What good is the fastest 3G implementation when you can't receive the darn signal?

Once you're outside a major metropolitan area, you're on AT&T's "Edge" network, which is so inferior to Verizon's 3G network it's not even funny. Verizon gives you their (slightly slower) 3G coverage EVERYWHERE! Whereas AT&T's (slightly faster) 3G network only works in metropolitan areas, and even then, only under ideal conditions.

For overall service in real-world conditions, there's just no comparison -- Verizon is better.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Talk about location; in Poway (a tiny town outside of San Diego) I've gotten higher than any of that.