Invisible Shield, Phantom Skinz and the like

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So I've been "case hunting" for a while, and realized that I really don't want a case, ruins the experience. Assuming you can move apps left and right on the homescreens, a case either blocks the lights on the home buttons, blocks the actually cool Motorola logo, otherwise makes the phone harder to use, makes it so you can't use a dock, or a combination of the above.

Then I stumbled upon the "Invisible Shield" industry, provides minimal protection (which is all I really want/need) while not "ruining the experience (see above)".

But I have some questions about this new kind of protection:

What brand do you recommend?

Can I still use the multimedia dock (Droid X obviously), specifically with a Phantom Skinz system?

DONT THESE THINGS PEEL OFF? Especially after repeated "taking out and putting in" to your pocket?

Thanks in advance, keep on rootin'!

jjj751

Reaction score
I bought the full body invisible shield for my iPod touch a few years back and it was great. After awhile lint did start to build up on the edges of the shield. Installing it was pretty easy but u should let it dry for 24 hours before using it. Dont freak out and rip the whole thing off if you see tiny bubbles under it after application because they will disappear in like a day once it dries. It shld work with the dock since it only adds like 1 mm of thickness. Peeling it off the screen takes a little elbow grease but its doable. You will probably have to be careful when peeling it off the back bc u do have to use a certain amount of strenghth and i don't know if the battery door will hold up against it. All in all its a good shield but u will probably want to peel it off after awhile bc lint will build up on the edges.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

companionlink

Reaction score
I've used the Invisible Shield on a few products before and recommend it. It works well for protecting against scratches and the like. You can definitely feel that it's on the phone, and some people don't like that, but it does not get in the way of using a touchscreen. It's pretty thin, so it shouldn't affect a docking system either, though it may make for a snug fit.

As jjj751 mentioned, after a while they can begin to get a little dirty around the edges or peel up a bit (depending on your use), but Zagg (the makers of the Invisible Shield) offers a lifetime warranty, so you can just take it in and get a new one for free if it starts to peel up or gets any bubbles. I personally have only ever needed to have 1 replaced because of this.

Installing it is pretty easy too, but a lot of places will do it for free or a for a few bucks, so if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself it's usually best to just let them do it. Letting it dry for 12-24 hours is recommended. Definitely do that before putting it in your pocket, otherwise it may start peeling up right away, but you are usually safe to use it for making phone calls and texting within an hour or two, really.

- David Z

RCFlyn

Reaction score
I too have the ZAGG on all my devices. My first was on the Eris (Screen only), I liked it so much, I got a Full Body for the I-Pod Touch, then when I ordered my X, I ordered a Full Body for it the same day.
I don't LIKE the full body on the Touch, all the corners have lifted and lint building up (Just on the body part tho, the screen part is still great).
but, the X Full body seems to be MUCH Gooder than the touch's. The X is 4 Flat pieces that you just center in the appropriate place, where as the TOUCH, it is 2 pieces, and the Body part wraps around the edges... But, now that I've got the X, the Touch don't get used much any more...

Installation was super easy on all of them. However, I don't care for their Liquid solution to put them on. I Tinted my Vans windows a couple years ago, and bought some "Black Magic" TINT ON, and used that for my Touch and the X, and it was easier than when I installed the Eris's.. The Micro Bubbles with ZAGGS Solution was horrendous (but, did disappear within 24-36 hours, but you could still see like little PITTS where the Micro Bubbles were),
Just my .02 worth...