Introduction Thread - Me!

Hyporea

Reaction score
Greetings!

Bought a Droid X the day it was released here in the US. I've been impressed. It's my first smartphone and does everything I need it to do, and then some. Now I want to learn how to really grow with this phone and help it become an even more useful tool.

I'm a software engineer and one of the main things that attracted me to this phone is the possibility that if I put my mind to it, I could build an app that I need, my company needs, or someone else might need. I strongly believe in letting the computer do the work.

I also travel a lot. In about 10 days I'll once again be traveling to Asia and will really have to rely on the Droid X. Never used Skype before, never had a cell phone of my own that could function in multiple countries. The last time I was in Thailand I got concerned that yes I can pay to use a payphone in an emergency, but I wouldn't understand the menu options. I vowed never to be in a situation where I couldn't communicate if an emergency required it. That's also a top reason for me to get a Droid.

Well, that's it for an introduction. I'll probably add more later as time goes on.

--Hyporea

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Welcome to the Forum...

The Skype app on the X Does Not work on WiFi.....

There are other options but I don't have those at my fingertips....

OP
H

Hyporea

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Backnblack.

I'm reminded how different these phones are from anything I'm used to. How does one connect to some network to use something like Skype?

Last December when I was in Narita Airport in Japan, I was disappointed to learn that there's no free wireless networks. Everything is pay via credit card, which I don't really trust (tossing out credit card numbers on some strange network). In South Korea there are free wireless networks a laptop can connect to. So this is an important issue I'll be facing in 10 days....

--Hyporea