Internal/SD Card Memory Question

Official_n00b

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally broke down and upgraded from my D1 to the Razr. Now my question is about the internal and SD memory on the phone. When I go to "Settings" > "Applications" > "Manage Applications" it shows the memory at the bottom of the screen (same as my old D1). This is where I'm confused. I believe the phone is suppose to come with 8GB internal and I have a 16GB SD card. However, when the "Downloaded" tab is selected it shows that I have 3GB of storage space. I'm assuming this is phone internal storage (like the D1), so why is it only 3GB and not 8GB? When I click on the "Media Area" tab (what used to be SD card for the D1), it says 8GB. Should this not be the 16GB from the SD card?

Obviously something is very different between the D1 and the Razr. How is the memory on this phone organized? Is it not as simple as internal memory and SD card memory? Is it partitioned into subsections for some reason?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It could be the way the internal memory is partitioned. Might have maybe have if the 8gb available. Not sure though.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally broke down and upgraded from my D1 to the Razr. Now my question is about the internal and SD memory on the phone. When I go to "Settings" > "Applications" > "Manage Applications" it shows the memory at the bottom of the screen (same as my old D1). This is where I'm confused. I believe the phone is suppose to come with 8GB internal and I have a 16GB SD card. However, when the "Downloaded" tab is selected it shows that I have 3GB of storage space. I'm assuming this is phone internal storage (like the D1), so why is it only 3GB and not 8GB? When I click on the "Media Area" tab (what used to be SD card for the D1), it says 8GB. Should this not be the 16GB from the SD card?

Obviously something is very different between the D1 and the Razr. How is the memory on this phone organized? Is it not as simple as internal memory and SD card memory? Is it partitioned into subsections for some reason?
Don't worry, you're not the first to ask this question. The Razr's internal memory is configured into two partitions...an 8GB partition for phone use and an 8GB partition that is referred to as Media, or if you look at that partition with Astro or other file manager it is labled sdcard. Your 16GB sd card, when viewed with Astro or File Manager is labled sdcard-ext. Hope this helps.

Scimino

Reaction score
That is the same way my bionic is. Im sure most of the new droids out r close to the same. I believe the way its set up is 500 mb for system ( rom), 4 gb app storage, 8gb internal sd, and i have a 16gb external sd

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Josebunbury

Reaction score
when I first got mine it did state something like 7.6 gb or something which is usually what most companies refer to 8 bg.. so I didn't give it a second thought.. but I'm really shocked your just came to aboout 3 gb...

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
when I first got mine it did state something like 7.6 gb or something which is usually what most companies refer to 8 bg.. so I didn't give it a second thought.. but I'm really shocked your just came to aboout 3 gb...
Yeah, that's a good point. Are you sure, not that I doubt you, it says 3 gb?

OP
O

Official_n00b

Reaction score
Sounds like the partitioned App Storage

I believe that's what it is. When I go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, there is 3GB of space. I neglected to notice the wording above that says "Application Storage".

So if I have 3GB of application storage and 8GB of "Media Area", where is the other 5GB? I understand that systems take up some memory (that's why you usually only get 7.6GB in a 8GB drive), but I cannot imagine 5GB.

With more tinkering I also found that if I go to Settings > Storage, there's a list of space. This lists the 3GB app storage, 8GB internal media storage, and 16GB of SD card storage. Do they really partition off 5GB for system data?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I believe that's what it is. When I go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, there is 3GB of space. I neglected to notice the wording above that says "Application Storage".

So if I have 3GB of application storage and 8GB of "Media Area", where is the other 5GB? I understand that systems take up some memory (that's why you usually only get 7.6GB in a 8GB drive), but I cannot imagine 5GB.

With more tinkering I also found that if I go to Settings > Storage, there's a list of space. This lists the 3GB app storage, 8GB internal media storage, and 16GB of SD card storage. Do they really partition off 5GB for system data?
Yeah I think they do. I checked mine and mine indicates 2.7 gb available for application storage.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
since the topic is the internal storage, on my razr that I just turned in, when I plugged in to the pc, I got two explorer windows open (two drives), one for the sdcard and one for the internal storage. Both showed the folders and files.

Now with the new one (which is new and not refurbished) I only can see the sdcard (sdcard-ext) and have no access to the other. ANyone also have this? Is this normal and I was just lucky with the other?

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
One thing to remember is with the newer moto phones from bionic up some of the missing memory is dedicated to webtop for those few people who use the lapdock. Why they force that loss on everyone is beyond me. There are some hacks on xda to get that memory back, but they should be done with extreme caution. As any change to system partition can screw you out of updates.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk