Internal Memory vs SD Card.

Durango_Boy

Reaction score
When I connect my Incredible to my PC as a Disk Drive I get two drives control panel. I have F: and G: along with my PC's internal drives.

I have been adding pictures and music to both but they both still seem to be saving to my phone's internal memory and not the SD card.

How do I save to the SD card instead?

Is saving to one better than the other?

Will too much storage on the internal memory slow the phone operation down?

Thanks.

matt30

Reaction score
When I connect my Incredible to my PC as a Disk Drive I get two drives control panel. I have F: and G: along with my PC's internal drives.

I have been adding pictures and music to both but they both still seem to be saving to my phone's internal memory and not the SD card.

How do I save to the SD card instead?

How do you know they're not?

Is saving to one better than the other?

Will too much storage on the internal memory slow the phone operation down?

No, it won't slow your phone down saving to internal memory.

herbmmm

Reaction score
How do you know they're not?

If he's looking at his SD card on the PC it should show any thing he has added to the card!

OP
Durango_Boy

Durango_Boy

Reaction score
I know it's saving to the phone's internal memory only because the available memory shows more and more usage and the SD card is all but empty. I have tried a few different apps for showing current memory usage, they change accordingly, but the SD card shows empty.

matt30

Reaction score
I know it's saving to the phone's internal memory only because the available memory shows more and more usage and the SD card is all but empty. I have tried a few different apps for showing current memory usage, they change accordingly, but the SD card shows empty.

There are 4 kinds of memory on your phone. 2 of which you have access to and 2 of which you don't.

The first is the 700mb ROM.
The second is the 512 MB RAM that is reported by app killer programs.
The 3rd is the 8gb RAM that acts more like an internal SD card then CPU dedicated ram. You have access to this and it is not reported by app killer programs.
Last is the installed SD card, and you have access to this.

OP
Durango_Boy

Durango_Boy

Reaction score

There are 4 kinds of memory on your phone. 2 of which you have access to and 2 of which you don't.

The first is the 700mb ROM.
The second is the 512 MB RAM that is reported by app killer programs.
The 3rd is the 8gb RAM that acts more like an internal SD card then CPU dedicated ram. You have access to this and it is not reported by app killer programs.
Last is the installed SD card, and you have access to this.

That makes total sense, but how can I save to the SD card when I have the phone plugged in as a hard disk using the USB cable? The two drive letter folders that show up both seem to save to the internal memory.

bl42ed0

Reaction score
So you are using an 8 fb SD card as well? If you are you can right click the properties of each drive and figure it out from there

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

bl42ed0

Reaction score
Oops I mean 8 gb not fb. And if you're using a different size SD card then there you go. Look for the drive that's not 8 gb

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

fifthcircle

Reaction score
I was having problems with this too.

When you mount the phone via usb to your computer, you can find two different drives for your phone in "my computer". Mine showed up as drives H: and G: G was the sd card. I figured this out by making a "new file" on the G drive and adding a few albums to it via drag and drop from "my music". Then unmounted my phone and looked at the sd card total memory on the phone. It was smaller.

Now I am going to go back and delete all my music from the phone, set up my itunes agent to sync to the sd card, and load up a LOT more music. dancedroid

Hope that helps anyone that was searching around for the answer :)

Axel

Reaction score
If you want to be sure, it's easy to see what files are on your SD card or memory with a file browser like Astro or AndExplorer. /emmc/ is the location of your 8G internal memory (probably short for "embedded memory card" while /sdcard/ is the location of your SD card. I don't know how to help you, since for me one drive is the embedded and the other is the external SD card, but you can at least see where those files are ending up.