intermittent lag

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Every once in a while (more frequently lately) I'll find that my Droid is acting pretty laggy. For example, I'll go back to the home screen, and it will be blank - showing only my wallpaper. But no icons or widgets. I can still pull up the list of apps from the bottom slider...just no icons.

Other times, I can't answer the phone when it rings, and it feels like a lag issue - it's busy doing something and can't process the tactile answer-phone input of me sliding the button across.

Right now, I'm using 221 out of 261 MB of internal memory and have 8 GB free on my SD card.

Would it help to transfer more apps to the SD card - does this free up more memory for the phone to use on active tasks?

Here's a list of my running services, in case that helps:
Email
syncManager
Weather Channel widget
ICE: In case of emergency
sudoku free
vizbattery widget
SD card memory widget
Internal memory widget
google voice
Swype
screeble lite

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Anyone?

If I factory reset, would that help?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do a search for "redraw". There have been a lot of threads lately about various launcher programs experiencing slow redraws. There are solutions in those threads.

I notice that you ask about transferring more apps to your sdcard. Likely that is your problem. If the app that one of your widget uses in on the sdcard that can cause major redraw issues. Find those threads and read them - likely you will find your answer.

Good luck.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone?

If I factory reset, would that help?

Before you do that are you running any task killers or antivirus? If not, then a Factory Data Reset out of your privacy section would certainly help.

You don't mention if you are rooted so I'll assume you are stock. There is an app for cleaning application caches in the Market that you should run for maintenance. Unfortunately the one for stock people has to be ran one app at a time. But it should help maintain performance.

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
No, my apps are NOT on the sdcard. I was asking if moving them there would help, but it sounds like it would not.

I am not rooted. I'm not using any custom home screen apps. No, not running any task killers or antivirus.

I'll check out the cache app.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Have you installed the partial or full Froyo update? If you haven't or have installed the partial I suggest installing the full Froyo. Made my phone snappier.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Does installing apps on SD always cause lag?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
I haven't installed Froyo yet. I was about to, before, and then I saw they decided not to push that one OTA. I see they've come back and re-released it again. So perhaps I'll try that one out tonight.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does installing apps on SD always cause lag?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

It has been a source of lag/redraws on some phones. I think it really depends on what apps you put on the sdcard. I do know that if you have widget on one of the home screens and it's app is on the sdcard, that will cause problems.