Intermittent Booting

murf0217

Reaction score
I've never rooted my DX, but other than that I've been through the same things that were mentioned earlier. I've had my phone replaced twice. In my opinion you get the phone because you want to be able to run the apps. If you can't then what is the point of having an Android phone? So far this third Droid X has rebooted once on me in a two week period. My other phones it happened daily (sometimes 4-5 times a day!) If it happens again I'm going back for a different phone. Sorry... I love the phone, but the rebooting kills it for me. And Verizon is definitely aware of it!

wxwax

Reaction score
I don't have handsent, & I'm as stock as stock can be, & I just started getting the random reboots a couple days ago.sure is annoying getting woke up@2am by phone saying "dddrrrrrrooooooiiiiiiiiiddddddddd", just 2 find out it really wasn't a text message..

I'm pretty sure if you turn the sound off (using the slider on the first screen) the phone remembers and obeys that command when it reboots.

Doesn't solve the problem, but at least you'll get a full a night's sleep!

Frankly, I think the only thing that will solve the problem is removing Verizon's crappy software. I'm not holding my breathe waiting for that to happen.

Natey2

Reaction score
I don't think my stock DroidX 2.2.1 (with 2.3.340) is rebooting too often.
But it has been known to reboot occasionally: sometimes when I hook it up via usb, or in the middle of using some app. I don't have Handcent installed.

Annoying thing is that the Uptime counter is not reset when it does these reboots, so I can't really tell.
I call these "Secret Reboots", which may be happening more frequently than I notice.
Anyone know of an app that keeps track of Android Secret Reboots?
In a normal Linux system, one has access to boot.log, but not on Android... Why would Google hide boot.log of all things, I wonder...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
My DX rebooted randomly from day one. It did it stock, rooted, rommed, with and without bloatware, etc. I tried every "fix" I could find in every forum I could find. Nothing worked, and apparently even Motorola has given up. Finally I called Verizon, got a refurb the next day, and have had zero reboots since. I am convinced it's a hardware issue and my advice is don't waste your time, just call Verizon and get a replacement.

xan

Reaction score
Completely stock Droid X, reboots like Imelda Marcos in a cowboy store.

:)

Same here. bone stock warranty replacement reboots 3-4 a day.

In my experience with VRZ, they have an amazing track record of screwing up an otherwise perfectly working device. This is not the first smartphone ive had from them that in reality turned out to be a "dumbphone", as my GF puts it.

I have a hard time believing that moto, the company that made the hardware that communicated with the apollo missions to the moon 40 years ago, cant make a reliable handset now.
:icon_ nono2:

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that moto, the company that made the hardware that communicated with the apollo missions to the moon 40 years ago, cant make a reliable handset now.

To be fair, they weren't mass producing the hardware used on the Apollo missions. Unfortunately, when mass producing something as complex as a smartphone, a business decision has to be made on where to draw the line between quality and quantity. The manufacturing process is never perfect, and while they can tweak and adjust for a while, at some point they gotta start cranking them out. If only 5% are bad, then they did a pretty good job, even though the numbers add up to quite a bit of bad devices.

xan

Reaction score

To be fair, they weren't mass producing the hardware used on the Apollo missions. Unfortunately, when mass producing something as complex as a smartphone, a business decision has to be made on where to draw the line between quality and quantity. The manufacturing process is never perfect, and while they can tweak and adjust for a while, at some point they gotta start cranking them out. If only 5% are bad, then they did a pretty good job, even though the numbers add up to quite a bit of bad devices.

good point.

but they also didn't have nasa crippling their devices, an add company dictating the code used, nor did apollo have a blockbuster app forced on them (or any of the other bloat).

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
good point.

but they also didn't have nasa crippling their devices, an add company dictating the code used, nor did apollo have a blockbuster app forced on them (or any of the other bloat).

Lol can't argue with that :) There's some speculation that the problem is with the processor... lets face it, it may be a Motorola device but most of the components were made by others

wxwax

Reaction score
It's definitely Handcent SMS. My Droid rebooted twice this morning while trying to access a MMS in Handcent. The same MMS open in the stock message app with no problem. Handcent is not install on my SD card. I sure hate to stop using Handcent, I've used it for a long time and really like it.

It's been a while since you removed Handcent.

Still getting reboots?