Interesting article the problem with Android Gaming

LordKastle

Reaction score
I still think the argument that profits are lagging are just empty logic and rhetoric.

People will pay for games when the games are worth downloading. I think the potential to make a quick buck right now is easier for a game developer than an app developer---because of the lack of games actually of quality.

Another things is this...how can their reason be "the lack of profit"...like I have been saying in other threads, lets be honest for a second. When your sole carrier is T-Mobile for the Android OS, you have a very tiny profit potential. Now with Verizon, Sprint, and other carriers in the mix there is exponential growth.

The fact is we saw the first mega-push for Android devices one month ago...one month. Android and Google should be thanking Verizon for their campaigning. The upcoming months will be more of a determinant of sale quality, more so than the past 2 weeks.

All being said...I still find any emulator/rom combination better than the idea of any other mobile game on any platform including iPhone. Nothing will beat NES, SNES, Sega...period.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
People will pay for what they feel is worth paying for. Is it worth paying for an app that makes your LED a flashlight? Of course not.

Is it worth paying for Beautiful Widgets? Totally and I think it's one of the leading apps in the paid section.

Would you pay for Home ++ if they threw in a paid version that had some awesome features? In a second.

As far as games go I'd happily pay for some that kick ass.

chomorro

Reaction score
Shoot someone make a good skeeball game and i would pay for that LOL. Iphone has a sweet one with tickets and prizes.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Skeeball

I would pay for a skeeball game where you rolled the ball using the same kind of motion in real skeeball with tickets and prizes. It totally possible to make it on the Droid. I would just have to keep it away from the kids.

Shoot someone make a good skeeball game and i would pay for that LOL. Iphone has a sweet one with tickets and prizes.

MikeDroid

Reaction score
Exponential growth are key words!

I still think the argument that profits are lagging are just empty logic and rhetoric.

People will pay for games when the games are worth downloading. I think the potential to make a quick buck right now is easier for a game developer than an app developer---because of the lack of games actually of quality.

Another things is this...how can their reason be "the lack of profit"...like I have been saying in other threads, lets be honest for a second. When your sole carrier is T-Mobile for the Android OS, you have a very tiny profit potential. Now with Verizon, Sprint, and other carriers in the mix there is exponential growth.

The fact is we saw the first mega-push for Android devices one month ago...one month. Android and Google should be thanking Verizon for their campaigning. The upcoming months will be more of a determinant of sale quality, more so than the past 2 weeks.

All being said...I still find any emulator/rom combination better than the idea of any other mobile game on any platform including iPhone. Nothing will beat NES, SNES, Sega...period.

Verizon alone will sell 1 million units of the Motorola Droid by years end! .. and that is with the phone only being on the market for 2.5 months :motdroidhoriz:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Verizon alone will sell 1 million units of the Motorola Droid by years end! .. and that is with the phone only being on the market for 2.5 months :motdroidhoriz:

Nov 6th to Dec 31 is 2.5 Months? Must be the new math....

It is 55 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date Or 1 month, 25 days excluding the end date...

55 days can be converted to one of these units:
  • 4,752,000 seconds
  • 79,200 minutes
  • 1320 hours
  • 7 weeks (rounded down)
:icon_ devil:

NVash

Reaction score
I think the main problems would be the controls. Playing some games on here emulated is a real pain in the neck since you cant really use the keyboard as well as youd like. They need to come up with some sort of controller that works with all the emulated games and is compact so that people can carry it wherever they go. That thing will make a ton of money if its done right.

Ptut

Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone with an Iphone condemns the droid for its lack of apps and how the App store has 100,000+ apps. Half the apps in the apple store are different versions of the same app made by different people. Second the android market has been out for about a year and it has "no quality" games well lets think back to when the Iphone was released their app store was in the same position that the android market is. Here is the kicker, Iphone users rave about being able to get emulators on their phone but they have to jailbreak their phones to have access to them but android market has several emulators available with out any modification to the phone or operating software. So in my opinion the android market is better off than the App store.

DroidsRUs

Reaction score
So you have 100,000 apps of which 80% are probably never used or downloaded. Which means you have 20,000 that are simple math.

themuttt

Reaction score
most classic games just do not seem to lend themselves to touchscreens. The DS tried to have some touch friendly platformers and they just were not good. Something similar to Age of Empires would work well with a touch screen I would think

cb2000a

Reaction score
The Droid uses a really nice chipset and Android 2 uses gl2 so I would think it is capable of some pretty good graphics (and there will be some really nice titles coming...from Gameloft for one) and maybe just maybe an MMO in the future.

Purist

Reaction score
I think the main problems would be the controls. Playing some games on here emulated is a real pain in the neck since you cant really use the keyboard as well as youd like. They need to come up with some sort of controller that works with all the emulated games and is compact so that people can carry it wherever they go. That thing will make a ton of money if its done right.

This.10 chars.