Interested in a solid billet aluminum case for your D2/D2G? Know Solidworks?

Reaction score
HELP ME HELP YOU. I have access to a full set of CNC machines that can make just about anything I can give them a design for. I know we have plenty of nerds on here (no offense, I'm a nerd too), anyone know solidworks? Can you get me a solidworks file, or g-code for a case for the front and back? The D2 and D2G have the same dimensions, give or take (close enough that I can't tell a difference with my D2 Innocase on my D2G)... If someone can get me a file for one with the extended battery with battery door, I can probably make a separate one that fits those, too. Due to the cost of the material, this would have to be a bulk thing (i.e., I'd have to get $$ up front from all interested parties, buy enough material for that run, and then ship them). But that's way in the future, I have to make a prototype first. So, who can help?

OP
N
Reaction score
HELP ME HELP YOU. I have access to a full set of CNC machines that can make just about anything I can give them a design for. I know we have plenty of nerds on here (no offense, I'm a nerd too), anyone know solidworks? Can you get me a solidworks file, or g-code for a case for the front and back? The D2 and D2G have the same dimensions, give or take (close enough that I can't tell a difference with my D2 Innocase on my D2G)... If someone can get me a file for one with the extended battery with battery door, I can probably make a separate one that fits those, too. Due to the cost of the material, this would have to be a bulk thing (i.e., I'd have to get $$ up front from all interested parties, buy enough material for that run, and then ship them). But that's way in the future, I have to make a prototype first. So, who can help?

OP
N
Reaction score

Mods: I crossposted here because I know not everyone with a D2G will frequent the D2 forum out of habit like I do.

OP
N
Reaction score
Both valid points. Help me overcome them. With a machine shop and ingenuity, you can make almost anything...

gilmourd

Reaction score
Can you do it with another material? Say some kind of ceramic?

terrets

Reaction score
Does Aluminum still block the signal? What if you left a hole where the signal comes through on the phone or even just make the case just an outline around the phone. And correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt metal increase radio signals? You know, the reason we have metal antennas. :) And if you add tinfoil or wire to it, it helps clear up the signal. You could make the back plate in two pieces and if it so it slides around the phone and clips together..Not sure Id want a metal case, I prefer my body glove because it actually reduces shock to the phone when I drop it. It would be pretty sweet though. Hope this gave you some idears :).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
N
Reaction score
Does Aluminum still block the signal? What if you left a hole where the signal comes through on the phone or even just make the case just an outline around the phone. And correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt metal increase radio signals? You know, the reason we have metal antennas. :) And if you add tinfoil or wire to it, it helps clear up the signal. You could make the back plate in two pieces and if it so it slides around the phone and clips together..Not sure Id want a metal case, I prefer my body glove because it actually reduces shock to the phone when I drop it. It would be pretty sweet though. Hope this gave you some idears :).

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

You've been very helpful, thank you. Metal increases radio signals in some applications.. I'll just have to do some R&D with various holes/slots to see if they improve/hinder reception. I don't think I'll get any help from the forums, so next time I visit my grandfather, we'll bust out some digital micrometers and get busy building something ourselves. So far, my thought process is a 4 piece case, 2 pieces each for front and back, that slide together. The front would just be thin aluminum (unless he or someone else suggests a better material.. I'll be doing some research), and I'm thinking the back would be thin aluminum with some sort of thin foam padding on all sides, to cushion the phone. Like you said, one of the functions of a case is to reduce shock to the phone. Also, I'd like something in there that would protect the finish of the phone, because we all know ****ty cases scratch your phone up. I'm thinking I'll try to source some of that foam from the back of the battery door, it seems like a good candidate.. Or some sort of thin neoprene.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
How much would it cost for materials and work? What about the weight of the finished product?

I would love to have an aluminum multi piece slide together custom case. Make iphones look like 2 bit junk haha. I would custom anodize paint the sucker, im thinking a deep orange with black stripes/decals....

</edit>i guess my biggest question would be, can you anodize cases for us? :D

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

OP
N
Reaction score
No idea what materials will cost, it would depend on how many people wanted one, as that would determine how much Aluminum I need, and what kind of prices I could get. My first few prototypes will just be from scrap laying around. Labor shouldn't be too bad as I'm sure my grandfather won't charge me to help haha. As I start figuring stuff out, I'll post more. But if people have ideas, keep them coming, please. As for anodizing.. I dunno, I'll have to ask around, see if I know anyone in the biz...

Joseph61189

Reaction score

What about MasterCAM? We Use MX2.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'd have to double check with my grandfather (his machine shop), but yeah, that should work. Anything we can generate g code off of. Are you actually interested in helping? If I get a working prototype, you'll get one for free, or at substantially reduced cost, depending on what it costs me (shouldn't be much).

Joseph61189

Reaction score
I'd have to double check with my grandfather (his machine shop), but yeah, that should work. Anything we can generate g code off of. Are you actually interested in helping? If I get a working prototype, you'll get one for free, or at substantially reduced cost, depending on what it costs me (shouldn't be much).

Yeah Im rather interested. I am currently in trade school for machining and looking for a good CNC project to wow my instructors with. I have a Droid2, just didn't think about ever making a case. Certainly going to require some thinking design wise.