"Insufficent Storage Availabe" when installing Final Fantasy III from Play Store?

VinceIP

Reaction score
I have a Droid Razr Maxx, rooted and flashed with iKream custom ROM. I bought Final Fantasy III from the Play Store. It downloads (over 180 MB) and whenever it begins to install I get the error message "Insufficient Storage Available". I have PLENTY of room on my SD Card and internal storage. I can't figure out how to solve this. I paid $16 for this game and I can't even install it... What's the deal? I've had no problems with any other apps.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It may not be the "Storage" per se, but the RAM that it's having problem with. It downloaded OK, right? If so, then it's not the SD Card. Check your apps installed with the "Manage Apps" feature (Menu, Manage Apps). First at the bottom you'll see "Application storage" and it will show you how much you have available. If it's not at least the size of the downloaded app, it won't work. Furthermore, many of these apps are compressed to shrink for bandwidth purposes during download. It may be as much as twice the size it's reading right now. If you don't have say 360MB available, it may still not install. Then hit Menu, and choose "Sort by size". The largest will be at the top. Start uninstalling the largest of the apps that you don't use much (or at all), and then try installing again. I think you'll find eventually that you can get it to take.

OP
V

VinceIP

Reaction score
Well I have 685MB used and 2.3GB free for app storage. My largest app is 27.73MB. Wouldn't you think 2.3GB would be plenty?

EDIT: Also, for internal storage I have 7.4GB free. External I have 3.4 GB free.

CrimsonTide55

Reaction score
Foxcat was talking about ram not storage

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
V

VinceIP

Reaction score
Right. Well I have 475 MB used under RAM, 366 MB free right now. But of course no matter what tasks I kill, most of them pop right back up again. How can I clear the RAM and keep it that way until I install this app?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Right. Well I have 475 MB used under RAM, 366 MB free right now. But of course no matter what tasks I kill, most of them pop right back up again. How can I clear the RAM and keep it that way until I install this app?

You will have to uninstall the biggest offenders to get enough ram to run. Killing them as you've discovered may not release the ram.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
V

VinceIP

Reaction score
YES! Finally got it working. Had to uninstall GO Launcher, Facebook, SwiftKey, and a bunch of other apps. But it finally installed. Thanks for the help guys.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
YES! Finally got it working. Had to uninstall GO Launcher, Facebook, SwiftKey, and a bunch of other apps. But it finally installed. Thanks for the help guys.

Glad to hear it!

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2 with voice to text translation. Please pardon minor errors.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
That's an interesting issue. I never thought the Android OS ram handling could cause that.

I thought the OS always killed however many apps necessary in order to run the app requested. (Following the priority list)

Is it because those apps are forcing the OS to give them priority even over a requested app that that happens?

Or is it an inherent problem with Android itself that it won't kill enough?

OP
V

VinceIP

Reaction score
I can't figure it out either. I've never had a problem like this before and I've been a droid user for over 2 years. But my guess is it has something to do with how SquareEnix developed the app. Apparently it loads all the data into RAM and then copies it to storage. I don't think most apps work that way upon installation. But I searched all over Google and found only one other case of the same problem. I don't understand why it only happened to me and this one other person.

johnywalker

Reaction score
ff3 even in my sga

I can't figure it out either. I've never had a problem like this before and I've been a droid user for over 2 years. But my guess is it has something to do with how SquareEnix developed the app. Apparently it loads all the data into RAM and then copies it to storage. I don't think most apps work that way upon installation. But I searched all over Google and found only one other case of the same problem. I don't understand why it only happened to me and this one other person.

hi ya..... I ve just installed the final fantasy iii on my galaxy ace which has only 190 mb internal and 290 mb ram.... It works perfect ....... For instructions mail me to [email protected]........