Installing apps

db83

Reaction score
How do you install apps on the android? I am coming from a windows mobile phone, so I'm used to using activesync and cab files. Can you just click and drag app files onto the droid's storage and run them from there?

DroidFan

Reaction score
Are you talking about the Droid Apps from the Market... they are all Over the Air (OTA) downloadable, so you just hit "install" on any given app you want and it'll automatically download it to your phone. Very easy to do...

OP
D

db83

Reaction score
how about downloading to the computer first? any way to get it onto the droid that way? or at least, can I just copy the file onto the droid's storage and run it to install?

souljerr

Reaction score
how about downloading to the computer first? any way to get it onto the droid that way? or at least, can I just copy the file onto the droid's storage and run it to install?

Because of the marketplace they've removed the need to download to your PC first. Apps go directly to your phone and install in a minute or so. Do you have a pressing need to download to your PC first?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Market Place makes it sooo simple. It's all done on the device... no files to transfer or open. Just click, install, run. ENJOY!

OP
D

db83

Reaction score
yes, I would like to know how to download to the pc, and then install it onto the droid. I found a package of apps zipped which I have downloaded onto my pc.

souljerr

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is how you can access those zipped apps -- Home, Menu, Settings, Applications, check the Unknown sources box. Plug in your Droid, hope for the best after your click to install...

You should be careful when adding applications that don't come from the marketplace. Are you sure they are designed for Andorid 2.0? Would hate for you to brick your phone or cause a bunch of problems.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is how you can access those zipped apps -- Home, Menu, Settings, Applications, check the Unknown sources box. Plug in your Droid, hope for the best after your click to install...

You should be careful when adding applications that don't come from the marketplace. Are you sure they are designed for Andorid 2.0? Would hate for you to brick your phone or cause a bunch of problems.

I'm in agreement here. I would be leery of installing any apps not from the Market Place... esp with 2.0 being so new you don't wanna make a fancy Droid paperweight out of your phone!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Market Place makes it sooo simple. It's all done on the device... no files to transfer or open. Just click, install, run. ENJOY!

Yes, it's very fast and easy. The one problem I have, is with Bonsai Blast. Androlib at AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc... says it exists, but when you go to Market, it says it doesn't. The sad part is that I'm seeing current comments about the game so it must be available from somewhere.

BTW, if you do go to Androlib to see what's available and see one you like, just open your barcode reader app and scan the QR code. It'll give you an option to go to the market.