Installation error?

dyrelogan

Reaction score
I am getting installation error on several apps I have. I try redownloading and I get the same error: -18. Looked it up and can't find anything on it. Anyone know what is causing this? Can't install GOOGLE apps on a GOOGLE phone??? Google Sky Map, Google Earth, and several other non google apps. Really getting frustrating. And wouldn't you know it, right after the mini update all of a sudden I am having trouble with updating existing apps. Can't even uninstall them. The bar just shows the Apple "candy cane" busy bar and will not uninstall. Any suggestions?

JRobzilla

Reaction score
Odd error, have you tried clearing the cache from the market app?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Tried that. Same error. Cache is cleared, but I get the same error. Saw this suggestion at another forum and the author said it also didn't help. Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate it. Oh well, iPhone will be out next year for Verizon, guess I will have to suffer with this paperweight until then.

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Nope, that also didn't fix this error. Cache and data were cleared. App forced stopped so I can open it fresh. That still didn't help. I have no idea what to do here. There is nothing on error -18. Verizon will only tell me to wipe the phone and start anew, which is their fix for everything. "Oh you have a little dirt in the battery compartment? Wipe the phone, start with a clean installation." "Hmm, well, smudges can affect the phone, I think you should wipe the phone. That's what I would do." "Oh my, you misspelled one of your contacts names? I would definitely wipe the phone for that. Start new."

Jake1991

Reaction score
Lol its funny because that's what they litterally do. But I would also suggest just calling Verizon and being like "I don't want reset my phone, any other suggestions?"

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Before you get too torqued up...try downloading and installing/re-installing the "new" Market .apk....located here. I dont know that this will help, but I dont see where it could hurt. I would suggest renaming the old android.vending.apk to android.vending.bak...then installing the newer version...

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! And not ALL reps are like that thank you! :)

Before you get too torqued up...try downloading and installing/re-installing the "new" Market .apk....located here. I dont know that this will help, but I dont see where it could hurt. I would suggest renaming the old android.vending.apk to android.vending.bak...then installing the newer version...

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Still getting the error. Stopped trying to update my apps at all and pretty much stopped using the phone period except for phone calls. Updating the apps does nothing. Really ticking me off. Calling Verizon for a new update tomorrow. Maybe I will just wait for the iPhone to come to Verizon. I have had zero issues with my iPad or iPod touch. So far Android has not lived up to any of its hype. Had the Eris, it sucked and now 2 Droid X's and will have to get yet another one most likely and this phone really sucks.

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
I have done a complete restore of the phone. "Droid Doesn't"... in this case.

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
New Droid X... still won't install apps???

My last two posts about apps not installing have been removed, so I guess I will start a new one. I am still getting the error on my new phone just sent to me by Verizon. Apps STILL won't install. Instead of the -18 error, it just tells me that my apps have "Installation Unsuccessful" errors. Same apps and also different apps. Looks like I am definitely going be an iPhone user. Droid Doesn't.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im sure that what ever Admin or Moderator that removed/moved your post did it for a good reason.

I can assure your problem CAN be resolved by either yourself or Verizon.

Did you go into settings/apps/manage applications/running applications? Then scroll down to Market, select it and clear data/cache.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

jchildress

Reaction score
There are a few apps that won't install normally for me either like angry birds. I did find a work around on the forums though. Clear your market cache as was suggested in the previous post, then go into settings > SD card > and unmount it. Install your app, then mount the card. You can then move the app to SD if available.

OP
D

dyrelogan

Reaction score
So you both want me to clear my market cache on a brand new never before used phone with no market cache whatsoever? I don't understand the logic. What will removing zero cache do? I have never heard of that before. Removing zero to get zero will help my issue? And by the way, the issue has been escalated to Motorola, which escalated it to second tier support, so this issue seems to be more than Verizon can handle, or first tier Motorola support.