Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I still have the family on unlimited data. Ain't touchin' that....
As much as I would love to have the latest and greatest, I can't afford to buy outright, so settle for a couple of generations ago. Heck, I nursed my Bionic along until I couldn't get it to function for anything other than making calls -- sometimes. I'm good with staying behind y'all. You guys get to figure it all out and by the time I am ready to buy, I come here and y'all have it all figured out as what's good and what to avoid ;)
You can still upgrade and keep unlimited. That's been going on for over 6 months now.

S5 tap'n

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Ugh, I shouldn't have gone over to Verizon's site and looked around. Is it worth it to still be paying unlimited data and buying phones outright? I hate to give it up and then find down the road that I made a huge mistake. We're using about 12GB per month as a group. The boyz are using the most with me coming in a close third.
From what I can see, I could put us all in an upgraded phone with 18GB per month for less than I am paying for UD. Is that true or am I missing some fine print somewhere?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For the Samsung folks, is there truly much of a difference between the Note 3 and Note 4? Also, If I wanted to go with the smaller body of a Samsung, what's the lowest Galaxy number I should look at? I know they are up to a 7 now, how low can I go and still be fairly current with apps and such?
The Note3 is a huge upgrade from the Note2 as far as ergonomics and stuff but performance wise the Note3 is about the same as the Note2. I still use my Note2 for non phone related things, Wi-Fi only and in airplane mode to save battery, and it's still a beast. I don't really care about spec numbers and things of that nature but I do care about performance and my Note2 is still a snappy well performing phone. I'd grab a Note3 in a heart beat of the price was affordable. Gorgeous screen and the first in the Note family to not feel like a small tablet in hand.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
The Note3 is a huge upgrade from the Note2 as far as ergonomics and stuff but performance wise the Note3 is about the same as the Note2. I still use my Note2 for non phone related things, Wi-Fi only and in airplane mode to save battery, and it's still a beast. I don't really care about spec numbers and things of that nature but I do care about performance and my Note2 is still a snappy well performing phone. I'd grab a Note3 in a heart beat of the price was affordable. Gorgeous screen and the first in the Note family to not feel like a small tablet in hand.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I'll look into the Note 3, thanks!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Ugh, I shouldn't have gone over to Verizon's site and looked around. Is it worth it to still be paying unlimited data and buying phones outright? I hate to give it up and then find down the road that I made a huge mistake. We're using about 12GB per month as a group. The boyz are using the most with me coming in a close third.
From what I can see, I could put us all in an upgraded phone with 18GB per month for less than I am paying for UD. Is that true or am I missing some fine print somewhere?
It's a tough decision, but I finally switched from an UD plan to a tiered plan last November and I am saving around $70 a month. I am still paying off both kids phones also. When they are paid off I will be saving $110 a month, unless I buy new phones and put them on a payment plan. So yes, you can save money on these new plans compared to what you are on now. It's a tough choice, but worked out good for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
It's a tough decision, but I finally switched from an UD plan to a tiered plan last November and I am saving around $70 a month. I am still paying off both kids phones also. When they are paid off I will be saving $110 a month, unless I buy new phones and put them on a payment plan. So yes, you can save money on these new plans compared to what you are on now. It's a tough choice, but worked out good for me.

I'm just afraid technology will change and we'll be starving for more data....

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know what you mean, we have been close a few times because of the kids and You Tube.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Another option to consider, if you do want to stick with Moto, is a Moto credit account. You can get up to $3000 if approved; then just buy your phone directly from them and don't change your Verizon plan. The interest rate is not the greatest, but the payments are minimal. I paid off my wife's phone way early that way and avoided a lot of interest. The Droid Maxx 2 is only $384 brand new on their website. Just another idea to consider.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just afraid technology will change and we'll be starving for more data....

One trend I've noticed over the last few months is browsers are getting updates to be more data friendly as just an example of the world after unlimited data plans.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
One trend I've noticed over the last few months is browsers are getting updates to be more data friendly as just an example of the world after unlimited data plans.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I guess I hadn't realized or knew that was what they were doing.
My first thought is with all these alerts being pushed through to phones from home security (Burg) and CCTV systems. It's becoming more and more popular and now more things are becoming automated with push to phone capabilities -- doorbells, for example. In my industry alone, smart phones are becoming a more integral part of a homeowner's security system. Even some business owners want images from their DVRs/NVRs pushed to their phones when they aren't in the office. If we are becoming more reliant on our phones keeping us abreast of what's going on at home and work, what else are we going to be using them for in another 5 years that we haven't even thought of yet?
I don't watch a lot of video on my phone, but occasionally one of the boyz will send me YouTube video to watch. I suspect the youngest is watching movies from his, given the amount of data he blows through. If I knew the future wasn't going to require a lot more data being passed though our phones, I would jump off of our UD, but right now, I'm really nervous about doing so.

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I suspect our UDP will be gone when 5G is deployed.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Something will make it go away, I'm sure.
Until they happens, you can still upgrade to a brand new device AND keep your UDP. I would look into that before buying a 2 y/o device, but that's just me.
Good luck with your decision.

S5 tap'n

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Until they happens, you can still upgrade to a brand new device AND keep your UDP. I would look into that before buying a 2 y/o device, but that's just me.
Good luck with your decision.

S5 tap'n
I thought Verizon did away with upgrading with an UDP.. How could I do this?