Info on apps

cheewee867

Reaction score
I am new to purchasing / downloading droid apps. When I select install on a free app, it tells me the application has access to the network communication and phone calls (read phone state and identity). What does this actually mean? Will the programmer has access to my phone directory?? Is this normal for the free apps?

I am very familiar with downloading apps from Apple and I have never been asked anything like this when downloading apps from them.

Any information that could be shared would be appreciated!!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, it is up to you to look at what the app does and compare that to the permissions it seeks. I've never had any sort of issue with this in the past 10 months, but it pays to be diligent. You must remember that Google does not really "approve" these apps in the same way that Apple does. This is an open system. So - Buyer Beware.

The main thing I do is only install apps which have been used extensively by people on this and other well known forums.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am new to purchasing / downloading droid apps. When I select install on a free app, it tells me the application has access to the network communication and phone calls (read phone state and identity). What does this actually mean? Will the programmer has access to my phone directory?? Is this normal for the free apps?

I am very familiar with downloading apps from Apple and I have never been asked anything like this when downloading apps from them.

Any information that could be shared would be appreciated!!

Apple's market is not open sourced so it's stricktly controlled. You should read and see what an app is going to access before you install it.

Sometimes it's necessary for the app to access network communications and phone calls. My advice is investigate before downloading. Take a look at what the comments say and also do a Google on the app. See if you find out anything negative about it.

Most of the time you will probably be fine. If you see us talking about the app that's usually a good sign (unless we are having problems with it).

If you're still unsure post a question in the apps area to see if we are familiar with the app. Chances are somebody will be and you'll be fine.

I'm not trying to make you paranoid about the Market. Just sharing my experience. I've been fortunate, I wasn't made aware at first about what some of that stuff meant and downloaded anyway fortunately I've never had an issue.

harrellj

Reaction score
Also, what does the app do? An app that gives you wallpapers won't need access to SMS, but it will need access to storage. If you're not certain whether an app should have certain permissions, if you know of a comparable app, check its permissions out, they should be similar. Read the comments in the market too, they usually give a good indication of the quality of the app. Alternatively, you can always create a post of "I'm thinking of installing %appname and am curious what everyone thinks of it".

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk