Infected by a Virus - PLEASE HELP!

igotadroid

Reaction score
Hi, I just woke up this morning and turned on my phone and received an alert from my Avast app that my gmail app was infected with a Trojan called AndroidFakeInst-ey[Tri]. I chose to remove it then performed a full scan ofthe device to find 3 more problems - in my Pulse news app, my Amazon app & in my mobile banking app.

How quickly would Avast have been able to pick up on this virus? Could it have been active in my phone for quite some time before being detected? Does this mean all my private material on my phone is now in the posession of a cyber-criminal somewhere? I figure I will need to change all my passwords and account security questions when I get home since I'm about to rush off to work but this is freaking me out.

How thorough is the Avast virus removal? I tried downloading AVG and NQ but they didn't find anything afterwards. Do I need to factory reset the phone completely? Are there any other measures I can take to ensure these problems are gone?

What could have caused this? I have "unknown sources" enabled since I download apps from the Amazon appstore from time to time. Could that be the reason this is happening?

Please help because I am am freaking out and really want to resolve this matter today.

Last edited:

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I don't use Avast & haven't had a virus or Trojan. But I would change all the passwords to those accounts Avast says are affected, to be safe. Then try to figure out how/why it happened

Tapped from a Nexus

xakuvo

Reaction score
im no lunix master, but i would AT LEAST factory reset. even better re-install stock rom using RSD Lite. this will wipe and re-write the partitions. but, if the virus had administration rights who know how deep it dwells within your system
RSD Lite is a debug/flashing program provided by motorola
a guide about using RSD Lite: JB fastboot instructions - DroidRzr.com

Last edited: