Incredible's battery life is not incredible

Fapout

Reaction score
I just received mine this past Tuesday.

I left to work today at 2:45 pm.. and did not use my phone at all until I got out. Once I was finished working I checked my phone and it was at like 60% (note that I got out at 7:00 pm) From then until I got home I was texting and using AIM a little. Two hours later my phone was at 45%.

Fapout, follow this procedure and you'll get SOOO much more life out of the Incredible battery. I know it's a pain, but it's an HTC glitch we have to work around until they release a fix for it...probably a software update.

Leave phone powered ON for overnight charge.

In morning when charge light is green, unplug, and turn phone OFF.

Immediately plug phone back in while OFF. (Orange charge light will illuminate.)

NOTE: After roughly 30 - 45 minutes of charging while off the orange charge light will turn green.

Unplug, and re-plug once more. You'll see the light turn orange again, usually for 5 - 10 minutes.

Unplug, and turn phone ON.

You'll notice an immediate battery life extension. I'm talking extra HOURS. I posted a few pages back that I can get almost two full days on one charge using this method. While all these phones and results seem to be different it's a trick with will certainly make some kind of difference for you.

NOTE: I don't use an app killer at all.

So I tried this.

I worked the same hours this time and when I finished working my phone was at 89-92% (I don't really remember) I left at 11:40 am and just got home now at 8:25 pm. Nine hours later my phone is at 80%

I'm not sure if it was the "procedure" or simply because that I reduced the brightness on my display.

Last edited:

Durango_Boy

Reaction score
I just received mine this past Tuesday.

I left to work today at 2:45 pm.. and did not use my phone at all until I got out. Once I was finished working I checked my phone and it was at like 60% (note that I got out at 7:00 pm) From then until I got home I was texting and using AIM a little. Two hours later my phone was at 45%.

Fapout, follow this procedure and you'll get SOOO much more life out of the Incredible battery. I know it's a pain, but it's an HTC glitch we have to work around until they release a fix for it...probably a software update.

Leave phone powered ON for overnight charge.

In morning when charge light is green, unplug, and turn phone OFF.

Immediately plug phone back in while OFF. (Orange charge light will illuminate.)

NOTE: After roughly 30 - 45 minutes of charging while off the orange charge light will turn green.

Unplug, and re-plug once more. You'll see the light turn orange again, usually for 5 - 10 minutes.

Unplug, and turn phone ON.

You'll notice an immediate battery life extension. I'm talking extra HOURS. I posted a few pages back that I can get almost two full days on one charge using this method. While all these phones and results seem to be different it's a trick with will certainly make some kind of difference for you.

NOTE: I don't use an app killer at all.

So I tried this.

I worked the same hours this time and when I finished working my phone was at 89-92% (I don't really remember) I left at 11:40 am and just got home now at 8:25 pm. Nine hours later my phone is at 80%

I'm not sure if it was the "procedure" or simply because that I reduced the brightness on my display.

Yes, this is a daily procedure. I do it now as a morning routine just like taking a leak or brushing my teeth.

The reason it works it both stupid and simple. Something about this phone, HTC software for the Incredible, keeps the phone from charging to an actual 100%. If I had to guess I would say 80+% from an overnight charge to the first green light.

By turning off the phone and charging again you are bypassing where the software told the phone to stop, and topping off the tank.

Now, that last and final short charge at the end is us to you. It does help based on my experience but probably not enough to matter to most users. With Lithium Ion batteries the software will slow and stop the charging at almost full so the battery is not damaged. That last plug in simply completes that last few percent getting me as close as possible to 100%.

That's why that last charge only lasts a few minutes, because you're probably sitting at around 98%.

I know it kind of sucks but again, think of it as a normal morning routine and it won't seem so bad. Not to mention I'm sure HTC is aware of the problem and they will find and fix it with a software update of some kind.

Fapout

Reaction score
This is ridiculous. It's been four minutes since I unplugged my phone and it's already at 93%. I sent three texts, nothing more. Although I will mention that this time I didn't do the trick charge.

SubMatrix

Reaction score
Fapout, its quite simple. Unfortunately, you HAVE to bump charge if you dont want to get that few % drop off immediately.

SubMatrix

Reaction score
well alternatively charging in an external charger, or with the phone off, might also charge it fully.

Fapout

Reaction score
Is this charge cutoff intentional? Does charging to 100% all the time somehow damage the battery?

CodeNameMLS

Reaction score
New Battery?

I haven't gotten my Incredible yet, but would it make more sense to buy a 3rd party battery that is a 1750MaH, does anyone what difference getting this battery would make in the battery life?

SubMatrix

Reaction score
Is this charge cutoff intentional? Does charging to 100% all the time somehow damage the battery?

No one really knows tbh, but what we DO know is that the increase in batt life is substantial. Even if you have to replace the battery in a year, its only like $40 and at least you had acceptable battery life. Better to have peace of mind and not worry about batt life than worry about slowly damaging it imho.

Fapout

Reaction score
I haven't gotten my Incredible yet, but would it make more sense to buy a 3rd party battery that is a 1750MaH, does anyone what difference getting this battery would make in the battery life?

Hopefully we haven't scared you with all this talk of battery life. Don't get us wrong, the incredible is a great phone and probably the best I've ever had. Phones are meant to make calls. They are a tool. If you find yourself playing games on it 24/7 then what you need is a Nintendo DS, not a Droid Incredible.

hydro556

Reaction score
Getting in late here, I only read this page.

Just curious as to who is using the VERIZON extended battery? Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow and I am wondering how others are liking it.

I just my Incredible yesterday and today was my first full day with it. I am liking it a lot so far. Battery seemed okay today with moderate(plus) usage. But after reading about all the battery concerns I had Verizon send me the extended capacity batt and am hoping it resolves all the issues.

CodeNameMLS

Reaction score
sorry bout the double post, messed up the first time

Hopefully we haven't scared you with all this talk of battery life. Don't get us wrong, the incredible is a great phone and probably the best I've ever had. Phones are meant to make calls. They are a tool. If you find yourself playing games on it 24/7 then what you need is a Nintendo DS, not a Droid Incredible.

Haha, well let me give you details. I have an iPod Touch, that is were i game, and play basically. Then my cell (soon to be Droid, which is 1300 MaH) I currently have an LG Dare Which with the use i give it runs about a day or two. It has a 1100 MaH Battery. The thing is, i will be using my Incredible as my Main internet source around town, i tend not to use my Dare cuz to be honest it just sucks with the internet. Yea i'll be playing a few games on the Incredible, but that job will still mainly be for my iPod.

The short version of what i'm saying, is that i will be using the phone as a mobile device a lot more then my current cell phone, like yea all these battery reviews are scaring me, and making ponder why they would ever choose to put a 1300 MaH battery in a phone like this. I found a battery thats the same thickness that is a 1750 and also a 1800 MaH. So i'm just asking if these would be the better battery instead the the massive bricks that are extended batteries.

Sorry I did not spell check this whatsoever.