Inconsistent Haptic Feedback?

alexhendershott

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I tried to ignore the problem I am having but I can't. I switched from my iPhone, dropped AT&T, bought the Droid, added 3 lines to my plan, I just can't ignore this issue on my brand new $300 phone.

My haptic feedback vibrate levels vary, sometimes it has alot, sometimes a little, sometimes none at all. Sometimes even a tiny click, and no vibrate.

The easiest way to demonstrate the problem is on the lock screen, with the slider. Simply press the green lock, you should feel a vibration, now press it again, and again, and again. Does it vibrate every time for you guys? Does it have the same intensity? If I do this, sometimes it won't vibrate at all, and sometimes I'll hear a small click.

Thanks for any feedback. I will be going to Verizon after work today. Fingers crossed they replace the phone. I feel it should be.

onejake

Reaction score
Ok, pressed the green button. Haptic feedback fine. Repeated as necessary, haptic feedback every time. Maybe your finger is defective. ;)

OP
A

alexhendershott

Reaction score
Lol, I hope my finger isn't defective! But in all seriousness, I think the motor is half broken or something. I'm eager to hear if other people have this problem.

Jackster

Reaction score
Yes, my feedback is inconsistant if I repeatedly hit the green lock. To me the feedback isn't something I pay attention. Good thing I don't want to hit the green lock repeatedly.

Jack

OP
A

alexhendershott

Reaction score
Interesting. I don't mean it only happens when hitting it repeatedly, that was just the example. It just happens at random through any UI interaction that has haptic feedback.

pilot25

Reaction score
How much battery level do you guys think the feedback steals? I turn it off because I don't like it but I notice it doesn't turn off the unlock button feedback.

andjarnic

Reaction score
Funny thing..I turned off haptic feedback..and when I dial on the phone, it still vibrates. I am guessing a patch will fix some of these smaller issues. We'll have to wait and see. Alex, it is possible that the app builder for the lock screen prevents the phone from vibrating strongly every time when successive taps are done to avoid battery drain. The vibrate does take a little more juice than normal touches and such, so perhaps its a "smart" mechanism to help in case one of your kids (if you have kids ;) is playing with your phone... kids are pretty resilient. They would probably keep trying for an hour, meanwhile your poor battery is taking a beating because of the constant vibrate haptic feedback. So it could be a built in function to help save battery life.

OP
A

alexhendershott

Reaction score
Yeah, I turned it off too. However, it still occurs when you dial on the phone, and when you use the slider on the home screen. I took the next step and set the security to the pattern so I didn't have to deal with the haptic feedback on the lockscreen, but lo and behold it still occurs on the dialer, and when you answer a call.

I guess updates are the only thing to hope for.