Incoming text won't wake screen from sleep mode

superlinds

Reaction score
Up until about 3 days ago, an incoming text in the standard messaging app would wake the phone and display the sender and message on the lock screen. It suddenly stopped waking the screen to show that preview, although it is there if I manually wake the phone.

Steps I have taken to try to fix this:

*Checked, unchecked, re-checked the "Notifcation Preview" settings for the messaging app.

*Checked the Privacy settings to be sure that all of the notification settings were correct.

*Restarted the phone several times, including removing the battery.

*Uninstalled the most recent app that I had put on just before it stopped working.

*Installed and uninstalled other messaging apps (Handcent, SMS Popup) to see if that would jolt the standard messaging app back to its senses.

*Did a factory data reset on the phone, which did not help even before I reloaded apps and settings.

I think that's it. Yes, I know that I could grab an app such as Handcent, SMS Popup, etc. to perform the same sort of thing. But that would mean that the phone wins. My dad got the same phone at the same time, and his works properly. Our settings, as far as we have observed, are identical. Does anyone have any suggestions to try? I'm not ready to give in, but I'm getting there.

Thanks!

acejavelin

Reaction score
*Did a factory data reset on the phone, which did not help even before I reloaded apps and settings.
Everything else is irrelevant if you did this, if you did a factory data reset on the phone and the issue still occurs it is either hardware (odd problem) or a corrupt firmware.

My next step would be to do a full flash of the latest ICS ROM or leak RUU, if the problem still occurs it sounds like it's time to contact Verizon for a replacement.

andeejo

Reaction score
My phone has never done this. When a message comes in the phone vibrates, sounds the set ring tone, and the indicator light starts blinking. When I wake the phone, I get the message. As far as I can see in the settings, it never actually gives me the option to wake the phone. Just to notify and put message on lock screen. I used to have handcent pop up. That would wake my screen

acejavelin

Reaction score
Wait... Maybe I am missing something then, are you saying you want it to wake the SCREEN on an incoming message? Mine has never done that, it will however do as andeejo says, vibrate, play notification tone, and blink the light, my impression of the issue was you weren't being notified of messages. I don't think you would want it to wake the screen for every message, if you receive dozens of text per day (like most people) this could drain the battery quite quickly.

If your father's phone does this, what software is he running? Is he on the same version as you? I don't recall this working this way on GB but it's been a while...

OP
S

superlinds

Reaction score
Wait... Maybe I am missing something then, are you saying you want it to wake the SCREEN on an incoming message? Mine has never done that, it will however do as andeejo says, vibrate, play notification tone, and blink the light, my impression of the issue was you weren't being notified of messages. I don't think you would want it to wake the screen for every message, if you receive dozens of text per day (like most people) this could drain the battery quite quickly.

If your father's phone does this, what software is he running? Is he on the same version as you? I don't recall this working this way on GB but it's been a while...

Yes, I want it to wake the screen. It has for as long as I have had it, up until just a few days ago. It does vibrate and play the notification tone and blink the light as well. But it used to wake the screen for 10-15 seconds and go back to sleep. We are both running ICS, and there have been no software updates or anything that would change one over the other. I keep mine fairly simple with the apps, too. It's strange to hear that yours don't wake this way, since ours both have from the time we took them out of the box.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hmm... Interesting, I tried this on both of my Rezounds, a Motorola Bionic, and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (stock ICS), and none of them do what you are looking for. If you Google "android wake screen after notification" or "android wake screen when receive sms" you will see this is common across almost all Android devices and there are lots of apps that will "fix" the issue for you (not really fix, it isn't supposed to work that way, but some apps can make it do what you want)... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dberm22.SMSWakeUp is one, but there are several others that will do what you want as well.

OP
S

superlinds

Reaction score
ace - it's funny that you mention that. I googled it extensively before I came here, and wondered why I was unable to find anyone with the same type of problem, only people who were unhappy that their phone didn't have the option to do that. Since mine and my dad's both worked the same way, I figured that it must have been designed that way with the numbers of people who seem to like that feature.

I have been trying to "fix" the phone - but it seems that what it was doing before was not the normal way to behave (ahh technology, always full of surprises.) I did check out that SMS Wake Up app that you mentioned, and it works incredibly well. The pop-up notification that I didn't like in Handcent and SMS Pop up are gone, and it just turns on the screen, basically as it had been doing before.

I'll go with that, and consider it a done deal. Thanks!