incoming text switches silent to vibrate issue

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I have don't vibrate in all settings in my text programs and settings only notify but after the last android update for the moto Droid Maxx I think a month ago anytime I have the phone on silent and someone sends me a text it switches to vibrate. Anybody else experiencing this?
Troubleshooting
I cleared my cache with no results
I cleared the data from my text apps and uninstalled extra ones
This happens weither stock messaging app, google hangouts or chomp sms is installed.
I did find a work around way to make stock sms not vibrate by setting the ring patter for vibrate to 0,0,0
but I couldn't find a way to mak the phone ringer have a slilent vibration pattern anybody know how to do that.
So now I can have silent texts but the I am stuck with not being able to silence phone calls after I receive a text

anybody have any ideas? my next thought was to wipe the phone but I am comcerned the issue would still be there after a wipe.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am not having that issue with my Maxx, after the last update. I have Vibration turned off under Messaging Notifications and my phone does not vibrate for a new text. Have you tried running your phone in Safe Mode? When in Safe Mode, Play Store Apps do not load, only the core system apps will run. That will help determine if the problem is in a Play Store App or in one of the system apps / files that came with the phone.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's very strange. Given that you're sure your settings are set right, and it sounds like they are, and you've tried the basic steps of clearing things out & trying other apps, a reset might be you only option left.

It is quite common after software updates to devices that some little quirks will exist and a factory reset generally fixes a vast majority of them.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I tried safe mode and it didn't happen then I went through my apps one at a time till I found the app causing the issue I did notice that safe mode logged me out of a few apps after rebooting and a few icons disappeared that I had to recreate it was a long process uninstalling reinstalling apps till I found it

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tried safe mode and it didn't happen then I went through my apps one at a time till I found the app causing the issue I did notice that safe mode logged me out of a few apps after rebooting and a few icons disappeared that I had to recreate it was a long process uninstalling reinstalling apps till I found it
What app did you determine was causing it?

Sent from my Note 4

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
It seems one of the text filtering apps that let's my phone not beep at night seems to have an issue which I suspect is with the android update. I have been emailing the developer to see if he can determine the cause

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's the beauty of Safe Mode... To help determine if it's in the System or a play store app. Glad you got things figured out & working better.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I started using Tapatalk but even with the alert sound on silent I still get notifications on the forums had to turn notifications off do you know if there is a way to make it silently notify? I am going to probably post that question in a Tapatalk forum once I find one

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I started using Tapatalk but even with the alert sound on silent I still get notifications on the forums had to turn notifications off do you know if there is a way to make it silently notify? I am going to probably post that question in a Tapatalk forum once I find one
Notifications with Tapatalk have been strange lately. I set them to never curate, but sometimes they do. No issues with sound here.

Several of us have had days where it wouldn't notify us at all.

I had a day where it kept notifying me of things I had already addressed...

Sent from my Note 4

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I had to switch to yet another night mode text/call filter app as it was sometimes not filtering at correct time or person but worked 98% of the time I have also been waiting for the lollipop update when I will have to see which app works best with that update

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I also had to turn of ring while on phone in the chat app

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
It seems that the right combination of settings in the SMS app and the filtering app need to be set one filter app needed the don't monitor volume changes checkbox as if it monitored and you accidently hit the volume button the filter turned off yet in a different one there is a setting to block changes to the volume and prompt you if you accidentally click cancel the filter before the schedule expires which seems to work pretty good. My new thing I'm trying to figure out is the following.
How to make the screen light up for texts during filtering since notification pop up dialogs showing the text make the screen glow for a few seconds and I don't want to turn that feature off in SMS app manually each night and turn it on in the morning. It also pops up over other apps ie navigation which I wish you could add exceptions to what it pops up over. I am also trying to find a way to have texts beep once per five minutes if in a back and fourth text conversation instead of manually setting silent mode so it doesn't do multiple text beeps in a row.