in-call screen on/off time?

jp233

Reaction score
Just noticed this in the past few days.

While on a phone call, trying to get to a regular home screen and/or any other screen, the thing wants to turn the screen off all the time, with zero delay.

Scenario: I'm on the phone for a while. The screen has gone to sleep like normal. I want to unlock it and look some other stuff up. Try to turn the screen back on with the power button (if it doesn't bring the lock screen on by itself). I can't even get through the swipe lock without the screen shutting itself off. Once I finally do that, trying to pull down the notification bar, or access any other app, is very problematic..... it keeps wanting to turn the screen off. None of my smart actions should affect this.

Anyone else notice this?

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
This has been mentioned in a few other posts in the past, typical responses involved the following :

Do you have a case or screen protector on the phone? If so, make sure that nothing is covering the proximity sensor on the phone (located to the left and a little down from the Motorola logo). This will trigger the screen to go off due to something being close to that sensor.

Is the screen on your phone clean in that same area? Perhaps a smudge or fingerprint is triggering this sensor.

Have you tried powering the phone off then on again to see if that resolves the issue? This is the number one tech support first step for any electronic device.

Perhaps others will have more suggestions before the dreaded FDR (factory data reset)

Hope this helps, if not, maybe others can shed light

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!

OP
J

jp233

Reaction score
hmm, interesting.

Yes this phone has been in an Otterbox Defender case since day 1.... including a screen protector that comes with it. It never had this problem before the 98.72.16 OTA build of Jelly bean.

I've done multiple reboots.