I'm becoming an app racist now.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
i bought a $1 European app and google checkout charged me $8 after international fees and "what not".

i'm done. no more apps with the $1 pound sign. They know how much it'll really cost and they should list the actual price in U.S. dollars.

This is marketing fraud!
if i knew it would be $8 i wouldn't have bought it.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree there, the market should reflect the location of the purchase...

Of course you cancelled it and got refunded right?

armeddroid

Reaction score
I have been seeing Apps on the market where it says DO NOT BUY now. First time I saw these. Kinda wonder why it would still be on the market.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

stanrc

Reaction score
Google checkout should show you the converted amount you are being charged, why did you still buy it?

On a side note I don't think I've ever gotten a refund from a paid app that I chose to "uninstall and refund"

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google checkout should show you the converted amount you are being charged, why did you still buy it?

On a side note I don't think I've ever gotten a refund from a paid app that I chose to "uninstall and refund"

I agree, it shows you how much it really cost before the transaction is over with.

On your side note I disagree. Anything I've done within the 24 hour period I've never even seen a charge for.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to say no, I did a eu$1 app yesterday and gco just showed eu$1, not a us conversion.

I did get refunded, I see both entries in my Google account page for checkout.

Perhaps not all apps do it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to say no, I did a eu$1 app yesterday and gco just showed eu$1, not a us conversion.

I did get refunded, I see both entries in my Google account page for checkout.

Perhaps not all apps do it.

Hmmm...I could have sworn when I made the transaction it showed me a conversion. Next time I'll pay closer attention, but I'm positive I've seen it before.

My bank takes 24 hours while a charge is pending so if the charge doesn't go through in the 24 hour period you wouldn't see it at all except in the "pending" status.

butch350

Reaction score
All you have to do is...

1. Download a conversion app which includes a currency converter.

2. Go online and use a currency converter site - and then you will know
HOW MUCH the app is before you buy. (IMHO), of course.

Works for me.

10david2

When I bought an app the other day, it did show me a US$ conversion. The biggest problem with foreign transactions however is the fee of your card you are charging it on. Credit cards usually charge a lot (Ex. 3% of the amount). If its a foreign purchase, I always use my debit card (its only 1%) and just factor that into the price. I have purchased a lot of darts overseas, so getting burned before, I have gotten used to watching for this fee, plus sometimes scumbags try and charge you a VAT (which is not a tax for US customers should pay). The best thing is to check with you card and see what the fee is before you ending paying a fortune for a $2 app.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I bought an app the other day, it did show me a US$ conversion. The biggest problem with foreign transactions however is the fee of your card you are charging it on. Credit cards usually charge a lot (Ex. 3% of the amount). If its a foreign purchase, I always use my debit card (its only 1%) and just factor that into the price. I have purchased a lot of darts overseas, so getting burned before, I have gotten used to watching for this fee, plus sometimes scumbags try and charge you a VAT (which is not a tax for US customers should pay). The best thing is to check with you card and see what the fee is before you ending paying a fortune for a $2 app.

Wow, I don't pay the bills in my house. I wonder if that's happened to me? Thanks for the heads up, I'll let my wife know to inform me if we get burned by any of that.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I purchased Beautiful Widgets which is in Euros and I didn't see anything more than the price converted to dollars on my bill. What country was this from where you got the "international fee"? Or at least what app was it so we stay away.

lumpysherman

Reaction score
I think my bank charged me a whole penny, on top of the purchase price, last time I purchased an app that either had a pound or euro symbol.
You may want to look at changing banks or finding a different credit card to use. Another alternative is to use pay pal, i think they are an option or will be soon.