If you could Frankenstein all the current home replacement apps, what would you take?

NeutronBomb

Reaction score
Simple quesiton... if you could take the best parts of each home replacement app and combine them into one what parts would you take and what?

GDE -

I'd take the 3d cube transition
The conversation widget
the scrolling application bar
The bottom layout option with the themes (3 functioning buttons)

Home++

I like the power bar but more customization is needed. Need to be able to skin the buttons at least. A home replacement app that let you choose between the power bar or the way GDE has it set up would be nice.

LOVE hiding the notification bar and in turn having the notification button in the power bar which is a must if you hide the main bar. I wish GDE had this.

Panda

the side docks are decent.

Dxtop

Having all 4 screen within one swipe is nice

All of them need more themes but that's another story.

Finally one thing I'd like to add is a profile like setting. I've done up several pretty sweet setups on GDE and Home++ but whenever I want to change something I gotta change it all. I wish that once I had it all set up how I want it I could save that as "Work profile" or something and then start a new one and then just choose which one I want to use. I think HTC Sense has something like it called Scenes??

xlapus

Reaction score
Finally one thing I'd like to add is a profile like setting. I've done up several pretty sweet setups on GDE and Home++ but whenever I want to change something I gotta change it all. I wish that once I had it all set up how I want it I could save that as "Work profile" or something and then start a new one and then just choose which one I want to use. I think HTC Sense has something like it called Scenes??

Locale - Product

I think this may do some of what you're looking for there.

As for things I like; I agree on being able to get to all your screens with 1 swipe would be nice.

Can you explain exactly what the Conversation Widget does? I know I'd really like a widget that I could put on a screen so I didn't have to go to the messaging application every time to reply to a text, or into meebo to replay to an IM for that matter.

What I'm picturing would probably take up most of a screen by itself, but you'd be able to see whatever conversation you're currently in's chat bubbles and reply straight out of the widget. Probably with scroll arrows/pull down tab to switch to other conversations.

phone

Reaction score
Auto home screen rotation for landscape and power bar of home++. That would be enough to make me happy. Removal of notification bar and extra screens is nice as well.

techguru

Reaction score
I have actually only tried GDE, and I like it, but there are some things I would change. I don't know, maybe the themes do change these, I haven't tried any yet.

I like the ability to add multiple home screens and flip between them. I use the simplest visual for speed, but like the 3D cube visual and occasionally switch to it just because it is cool.

I like that it allows adding dedicated phone and contacts (or other buttons) to the three button bar at the bottom, but I don't like that it remaps my settings button to act like the application soft button. I don't need two different ways to get to the same screen, thanks....

Alan

OP
NeutronBomb

NeutronBomb

Reaction score
I have actually only tried GDE, and I like it, but there are some things I would change. I don't know, maybe the themes do change these, I haven't tried any yet.

I like the ability to add multiple home screens and flip between them. I use the simplest visual for speed, but like the 3D cube visual and occasionally switch to it just because it is cool.

I like that it allows adding dedicated phone and contacts (or other buttons) to the three button bar at the bottom, but I don't like that it remaps my settings button to act like the application soft button. I don't need two different ways to get to the same screen, thanks....

Alan

That always bothered me about GDE as well. I would have liked a little more customization options for assigning actions to those buttons. I also disliked that if I had one set to browser it would always open a new browser window instead of just opening the one I already had open.

eNonsense

Reaction score
Dxtop

Having all 4 screen within one swipe is nice

Also dxTop's app drawer categories and it's icon quick-drop menus. I don't know why anyone would prefer looking at a long list of 100 alphabetized icons over dxTop's categories. It's the best part of dxTop.