If webOS was open source

darkmatter

Reaction score
With the demise of webos, I heard mention that hp might release the code. So, I was wondering, if that were to happen, what would be the chances of slapping android market on it?

I haven't been able to tell what webos is based on (ie, linux?).

Either way, I think I'm going to try to pick one up tomorrow. I figure even without support, it should be good for web browsing and watching movies, I could think of much worse devices for doing the same thing for more money than the $100 firesale.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Its linux based. But that's probably not enough just to slap the market on it. There is an effort to port Android to the touchpad though. And like you figured either way its a good deal for an ereader/web browser.

end of line...

OP
darkmatter

darkmatter

Reaction score
I hadn't considered straight porting android onto it. If they unlock it, I guess that's possible?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I don't believe its locked. Not 100% on that. Just gotta make it work with the hardware.

end of line...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are threads on Rootzwiki and XDA regarding the androidtouchpad project.

markwebb

Reaction score
Yeah. Just ordered the 16gb model from Best Buy for $99. Should be ok for basic use as is but am anticipating touchdroid which would be awesome!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
darkmatter

darkmatter

Reaction score
Ugh, I should have thought to look online to buy it. Now its sold out online. Guess I'll stop by the store after work before I go to bed.

markwebb

Reaction score
Ugh, I should have thought to look online to buy it. Now its sold out online. Guess I'll stop by the store after work before I go to bed.

Rumours are HP will have more available online for $99 tomorrow, Monday.HP did have a sign up page early this AM for the liquidated pricing. Keep looking around and refreshing your web browser. LOL.

markwebb

Reaction score
32 GB model NOW available on HP website for $149!

OP
darkmatter

darkmatter

Reaction score
Was first in line at best buy. Walk in and they said they sold out yesterday. I'm guessing their entire stock is in the back waiting for employees to buy...

markwebb

Reaction score
Was first in line at best buy. Walk in and they said they sold out yesterday. I'm guessing their entire stock is in the back waiting for employees to buy...

Keep checking HP website: they come and go hourly! More are on the way from what I am hearing.