If the headset jack has a broken headphone/3.5mm jack plugged in...?

shanimal92

Reaction score
will it still try and push the sound through the 3.5 jack? like say i have a 3.5mm to 3.5/2.55mm adapter or headphones that dont work (lets just say they are cut in half) will the sound from a incoming call/notification/music still try and go through the broken cable and not allow me to hear the sound from the earpiece (or speaker for music)?

Edit: nevermind. cut some headphones in half to see and the music still gets routed to broken headphones. anyone know if the adapter would be any different?

Last edited:

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Would make sense for that to happen. Is this hypothetical or do you have a 3.5mm jack busted off in the port?

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
Would make sense for that to happen. Is this hypothetical or do you have a 3.5mm jack busted off in the port?

hypothetical for now. i have a project i want to do. i really hate how the headphone port is on the bottom. every other phones port is on top, i like it that way. so i wanted to get a adapter (looking for a "tangle free" one with a flat cord) to plug into the jack and run it on the inside of my case and pop up on top. problem is, the male end of all the adapters i find, even the angled ones, stick out too much out of the port so it looks funky. if my change i did find one i wanted to make a switch to cut it on and off so i can still my calls without headphones and still use the speakers for music. but since that idea is dead i gotta find a way to easily plug and unplug the headphone jack since the cord will be pulled tight under the case. that swhy i wanted a adapter with tha male head still being 3.5mm but as short as possible. i wish they would make a case that would implement this somehow. better yet, an app that would make the headphone jack stop transmitting when a call is placed or made.

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just seems to me that the phone wouldn't have any way to determine that you've cut the cords on the headphones. If there is an auxiliary jack plugged in I would think that's all the phone is concerned with and would try to route sounds through it.

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
yea... now that i think i about it that makes sense... RIP sisters headphones :frown: