ID3 Tags For WAV Files Not Working Properly

nikoli

Reaction score
My music library on my laptop is in WAV format. The ID3 tags work well on the laptop. But when I transfer to my Droid, the files seem to lose the "artist" information... which makes them all appear as "Unknown Artist" in my Droid.

I have some mp3s on my laptop. I transferred them to the Droid with no problem. All the ID3 info appears to be available.

So I tried converting the WAV files to OGG, but it was the same story after transferring to the Droid.

Does anyone else have any WAV files they could try this with?

CDB

Reaction score
After doing a little bit of Googling, it would seem adding ID3 tags to a .wav file, while it can be done...really isn't the best of ideas.

"ID3 tags were designed with MP3 in mind, so they would work without problems with MP3 and MP3Pro files. However, the tagsets are an independent part of the MP3 file and should be usable elsewhere. In practice, the only other format which widely uses ID3v2 tags is AIFF, where the tag is stored inside a RIFF chunk named "ID3". The same could be accomplished in WAV, but isn't. The only tagging system in wide usage for WAV is the Broadcast Wave Format, stored as a RIFF chunk."

LINK

OP
N

nikoli

Reaction score
After doing a little bit of Googling, it would seem adding ID3 tags to a .wav file, while it can be done...really isn't the best of ideas.

"ID3 tags were designed with MP3 in mind, so they would work without problems with MP3 and MP3Pro files. However, the tagsets are an independent part of the MP3 file and should be usable elsewhere. In practice, the only other format which widely uses ID3v2 tags is AIFF, where the tag is stored inside a RIFF chunk named "ID3". The same could be accomplished in WAV, but isn't. The only tagging system in wide usage for WAV is the Broadcast Wave Format, stored as a RIFF chunk."

LINK

So what you're saying is that I might be better off ripping my CDs to mp3 if I want my Droid to properly recognize my library?

CDB

Reaction score
I rip all my CD's to mp3 (using EAC + Lame) and have never had a problem with the default music app recognizing my library or ID3 tags.

OP
N

nikoli

Reaction score
That's cool. I rip to WAV so I can have a hq backup of my CDs. I guess I could rip some hq mp3s as well.

CDB

Reaction score
Continue to rip to .wav (or .flac) and then convert to mp3. Hq backup is still being done like normal and you've got some mp3's now...unless space is at a premium for you, that's what I'd do. Even using CBR 320k would save you space and be damn near 'CD quality'...just make sure to use EAC or some other secure ripper.

OP
N

nikoli

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice and help!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I rip all my CDs with Windows Media Player. the .wmv format works fine on my Droid... retains all file information.