ICS a Long Way Off?

Zandar

Reaction score
Motorola Releases Initial Ice Cream Sandwich Update Timeline – DROID RAZR, RAZR MAXX, Bionic, and DROID 4 Still Being Evaluated – Droid Life

From this, it seems that ICS may be a long way off for the Droid RAZR (for those who didn't click the link, it has an update timeline for Moto phones to get ICS; some are Q2, some are Q3- but the RAZR is under "Evaluation & Planning" phase with no timeline for an ICS release). If this is true, it's pretty lame. I was expecting ICS in maybe March (or even sooner).

What do you all think? True? False? Moto's fault? Verizon's?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can't be Verizon's fault. That's Moto's timeline. Verizon won't be at fault unless Moto sends them an OTA to evaluate and Verizon says "not good enough".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

t35rk

Reaction score
Motorola Releases Initial Ice Cream Sandwich Update Timeline – DROID RAZR, RAZR MAXX, Bionic, and DROID 4 Still Being Evaluated – Droid Life

From this, it seems that ICS may be a long way off for the Droid RAZR (for those who didn't click the link, it has an update timeline for Moto phones to get ICS; some are Q2, some are Q3- but the RAZR is under "Evaluation & Planning" phase with no timeline for an ICS release). If this is true, it's pretty lame. I was expecting ICS in maybe March (or even sooner).

What do you all think? True? False? Moto's fault? Verizon's?

Consumers fault for buying a device and ever thinking ICS will come in a timely and stable manner.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

iguanad

Reaction score
Moto has said Q2 for some time. This article concurs with that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
Z

Zandar

Reaction score
Can't be Verizon's fault. That's Moto's timeline. Verizon won't be at fault unless Moto sends them an OTA to evaluate and Verizon says "not good enough".

I would think that, but there are several devices (like the XOOM) where the WiFi is getting a Q2 update and the 3G variant is TBA.

OP
Z

Zandar

Reaction score
Consumers fault for buying a device and ever thinking ICS will come in a timely and stable manner.

We get it. You hate Motorola. Thank you for the helpful and insightful post; now scurry along to the DInc forums.

iguanad

Reaction score
This version of GB is so solid that I don't really care when ICS comes out. I don't want to screw up a phone that is working flawlessly for a few bells and whistles that I don't need.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
This version of GB is so solid that I don't really care when ICS comes out. I don't want to screw up a phone that is working flawlessly for a few bells and whistles that I don't need.

Well I'm glad you can just sit there and take it that easily I think it's complete crap they promised us Ics at 6 weeks after google release the source it's been more than 6 weeks and then they promised us march and now they're saying q3? screw that motorola deserves to go down I hope the company goes under. And that's from a motorola fan boy.

t35rk

Reaction score
We get it. You hate Motorola. Thank you for the helpful and insightful post; now scurry along to the DInc forums.

Updates have been late before from all manufactures. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me, but go ahead, blame Verizon or whoever if it makes you feel better.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I'm glad you can just sit there and take it that easily I think it's complete crap they promised us Ics at 6 weeks after google release the source it's been more than 6 weeks and then they promised us march and now they're saying q3? screw that motorola deserves to go down I hope the company goes under. And that's from a motorola fan boy.

No they didn't...they said they would begin working on the source 6 weeks after release. Moto has been pretty adamant the update process would take 4-6 months

Kimo91

Reaction score
Patience is a virtue y'all. Many like me can patiently wait for ICS. I mean why are those that are way too impatient for ICS, why do y'all need it yesterday?

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
I would think that, but there are several devices (like the XOOM) where the WiFi is getting a Q2 update and the 3G variant is TBA.

My wifi Xoom has been rockin ICS for a few weeks already and to be honest I don't see the big deal about it. Not much difference from honeycomb.

Still rocking the OG Droid using Tapatalk!!! Until my razr maxx arrives!!!!

Kimo91

Reaction score

If you can't live without ICS then sell your Razr and jump on GNex bandwagon and enjoy ICS before we get it. Just saying

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR

OP
Z

Zandar

Reaction score
I must admit I don't really know what ICS will have that I want. I already have the swipe to camera bit and a few other goodies that will be in ICS; I guess I just like to be on the latest and greatest. I know ICS will help with speed, battery, and memory management because all Android updates do that. Maybe I just want to be able to repartition my flash memory so that there's not so much space being taken up with webtop capabilities. I know I could do that now, but I'd rather once-and-done my rooting stuff (I don't like to flash ROMs, anymore; maybe my OG Droid burned me out).

Oh, and Honeycomb to ICS isn't a big change because ICS basically is Honeycomb (for tablets). Moto and some others rushed Google to get HC out before it was ready (and, by "ready," Google wanted it to be a seamless OS between phones and tablets, which is what ICS is). That's why source code for HC was never released.

SallyC

Reaction score
I thought it was further along but I can't say as I care that much. I was more stuck on it before I got my Razr but I really am very happy with the current state of functionality.

Some of the improvements sound great and I will be happy to get them, but for now I'm surprisingly good. :)