I screwed up my driver...

Fastlain

Reaction score
So I plugged my phone into my pc for the first time.. and it started downloading the driver.. then I get a phone call and I instinctively unplugged the phone to answer it.. great.. the driver wasn't finished.. now when I plug the phone up, it tries to install the driver... it recognizes it.. but then it stalls out and says either use the disk or "waiting for user input ADB"... how do I undo the mess I made? thanks

mack19318

Reaction score
Are you on windows?
If you are right click on "my computer"select manage
Then search for your device click on it and an option to uninstall drivers is the choice you want. Might need to restart computer then just plug phone back in and let install run.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
F

Fastlain

Reaction score
yes, I'm on windows... I tried that.. found the device and uninstalled it ( a couple of times).. but it just keeps coming back when I plug the phone in.. any other ideas.. I guess it partially installed it with out the uninstall or something.. can I just go delete the files in the program files.. that is probably asking for trouble.. any ideas??

mack19318

Reaction score
Do you know how to use regedit?
I dont want you to ef your computer up. But if your comfortable with file names then type regedit it runand search for the file and delete all of it. Then restart your computer. But if you don't know exactly what your looking for then don't delete anything.
Best thing to check is in your manage section right click and look at properties for your device and copy down the file name.so you can match to the registry files.

OP
F

Fastlain

Reaction score
thanks mack.. I am not familiar with regedit... but I opened it with the run command... properties / location under manage device only shows a string of numbers... I can recognize some of the files in the programs folder on the C drive by knowing what date and time I efd the install up.. there is an htc file and the installshield installation file has a subfile that looks like it goes with this...there is also a ffdshow file that has an unistall at the same about time..

mack19318

Reaction score
Delete the whole htc file, as long as the is the only htc device you have there would be no other htc files on your pc.
Then restart and plug your phone in should be good to go.

OP
F

Fastlain

Reaction score
I didnt have the nerve to go deleting files or folders..... I'm installing HTC sync now... I'm hoping that it will go on smoothly and talk with my thunderbolt.. does anyone know if this verizon v-cast is basically the same thing as the HTC driver.. I am not really sure what I need the driver for outside of sharing music & pics b/w my pc and phone...

Is verizon v-cast good enough?

defcon888

Reaction score
I didnt have the nerve to go deleting files or folders..... I'm installing HTC sync now... I'm hoping that it will go on smoothly and talk with my thunderbolt.. does anyone know if this verizon v-cast is basically the same thing as the HTC driver.. I am not really sure what I need the driver for outside of sharing music & pics b/w my pc and phone...

Is verizon v-cast good enough?

I don't know if you tried this or you figured out your problem, but it is quite easy. All you have to do is a "system restore" to a restore point before the time you hooked your phone into your computer. On WINDOWS 7 it is:

START --> ALL PROGRAMS --> ACCESSORIES --> SYSTEM TOOLS --> the SYSTEM RESTORE. Follow the screen.

I try to pick a point way before the time the incident happened.

Keep in mind that you will lose programs that you installed from the time you PICK your restore point. YOU WILL NOT LOSE DATA.

Doing a REGEDIT is another way, but that is way to complicated.