I need some advice on a wireless router.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I need an education on Wireless routers. I have Comcast cable internet and I am thinking of down grading my Direct TV package and getting Netflix to stream through the Wii. My wife and I also have Android phones and I would like to be able to run them off the WiFi connection while at home.

I'd also like to keep the cabled connection to my computer, but be able to use my laptop thru WiFi. I am assuming that I can hook the wireless router up so that the Desktop computer does not need to be on for the wifi to work.

I need some suggestions for a router, or at least features I should look for. I'm also interested in comment from anyone that streams Netflix thru their Wii. I know it's not capable of HD, which is fine because I don't have an HD TV.

I don't want to spend a ton.

loveisdead30

Reaction score
I have used Linksys (Cisco) and Netgear, imo Linksys is far superior in stability of the Netgear...Some people have issues with Linksys routers disconnecting them because they never change the signal type from Mixed to B or G, Linksys does not like to hand out both, i was disconnecting every 30secs or so till I changed it too G only and I have never had a problem with mine since.

You would plug the modem into the internet port (the port by itself) on the router then plug the desktop into ports 1-4, it does not matter and have everything else wifi

souljerr

Reaction score
... I have Comcast cable internet and I am thinking of down grading my Direct TV package and getting Netflix to stream through the Wii. My wife and I also have Android phones and I would like to be able to run them off the WiFi connection while at home.

I'd also like to keep the cabled connection to my computer, but be able to use my laptop thru WiFi. I am assuming that I can hook the wireless router up so that the Desktop computer does not need to be on for the wifi to work.

I need some suggestions for a router, or at least features I should look for. I'm also interested in comment from anyone that streams Netflix thru their Wii. I know it's not capable of HD, which is fine because I don't have an HD TV.

I don't want to spend a ton.

This is exactly how I have mine set up. I use DirectTV for tv and the cheapest Comcast plan for internet access and basic package for tv in the "spare" room. I use a D-Link DGL-4300. Have had it for about 8 months and it's been great.

- Wii is streaming wireless (Netflix works great)
-XBox is streaming wireless (well it was until the red rings showed up)
-Tivo is connected
- SlingBox connected
- 4 wireless laptops
- Droid

I did have to install a DLink Gigabit Switch because I also have Vonage but all the wireless stuff is working fine. No slow down and everyone is happy.