I just won a droid X

Bailie

Reaction score
It shows up on friday, and I'm pretty excited because I have been using a tracfone for years.

I have been looking through the forums for ways I can make use of it. The one thing I'm concerned about is service. I don't talk much. I can't justify $60 or 100$ a month for something I have been paying about 45$/3 months. I get 22% discount through verizon, but its still pricey. The good news is, since I won it there is no contract.

I would love to jail break it and use it on something like simple talk, or a prepaid service with a little data plan for gps use. If anyone has suggestions on service or apps I would love to hear them. I love music, I have bluetooth hands free in my car, and wireless N at home.

Anyone know of a way I can use my droid X BT to connect to my tracfone, effecively jail breaking my phone. Might suck on the go, but it would be pretty nice at home. And maybe I could clearly hear the people I was talking to for once.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Winning an X is special. I have a Droid which requires a data plan and I imagine the X requires a data plan as well. A quick call to the VZW customer service folks or a visit to a local VZW store should resolve for you.

I've used BT for my vehicle but not with another phone.

Mike

Fault

Reaction score
From what I have heard, droid's are vzw exclusive, doesnt really work like a simcard phone where you can trick it. But with the no contact, you have a lot of possibilities. The 22% off helps a lot, makes it only like $240 a month

OP
B

Bailie

Reaction score
okay so i looked it up and basic voice+data and text is like 75$ - 15$ discount.

can i still surf the web and play mp3s without service, or should i just sell it? sucks because im probably going to have to pay taxes on 600$

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
okay so i looked it up and basic voice+data and text is like 75$ - 15$ discount.

can i still surf the web and play mp3s without service, or should i just sell it? sucks because im probably going to have to pay taxes on 600$
You can use it on wifi. It will become the android equivalent of an iPod touch. BUT, if you want to sell it, that wouldnt be a problem, especially if you give your wonderful friends here at Droid Forums first chance to buy it! :icon_ banana:

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I would check with Verizon, you might be able to use the phone as a pre-paid phone and pay for a data plan that way. I will say that even though you do not have a use for the phone, once you begin to play with it you will either want to keep it or sell it. You might be able to pull $500+ for the phone on Ebay. I would say try it out, you can use it like a MP3 player internet useful phone.

darylkris

Reaction score
this is true, i'd love to trade my droid1 in for a droid x, along with some cash of course =D let me know!

OP
B

Bailie

Reaction score
I would check with Verizon, you might be able to use the phone as a pre-paid phone and pay for a data plan that way. I will say that even though you do not have a use for the phone, once you begin to play with it you will either want to keep it or sell it. You might be able to pull $500+ for the phone on Ebay. I would say try it out, you can use it like a MP3 player internet useful phone.

I think I might put it up on ebay. If I can get 500 for it and the car dock, I could buy a touch and have money left over. you can get a droid x with 2 year contract for 200$. I don't know, its worth a try I guess. If anyone from these forums wants to buy it, i can send you a copy of my ID with photo and address if you are worried about getting burned. Paypal, and I can just leave everything in the original unopened shipping box.

prepaid is more expensive than monthly. you pay by the day, not the minute. I talk on the phone maybe 3 minutes a day on average. I call to meet people or text them. It would be cool to surf on, but i have a netbook with a keyboard so thats more easy to type on anyway.

Last edited: