I have very simple questions...

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah I know there are countless threads regarding updates, Gingerbread, and all that, I have read threads and posts from one end of this forum to the other until my head is about to explode and I'm craving Gingerbread cookies. :icon_eek:

My question is very simple... the only question I have been able to find an answer to...

Does any of this apply to me, on a rooted Droid 2 running just the stock ROM?

I got the last 2.3.20 update and re-rooted with minimal hassles. I hope the next update is just as hassle free.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you're asking if you'll receive the update without hassle then yes. You will have to replace any bloat you removed but if you are rooted on the stock rom then you will be fine. Keep in mind it is going to take a while for it to come out and when it does you will lose root. The unknown though is how easy it will be to root after the fact. No one quite knows which holes they are going to plug.

tappin and a talkin

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you're asking if you'll receive the update without hassle then yes. You will have to replace any bloat you removed but if you are rooted on the stock rom then you will be fine. Keep in mind it is going to take a while for it to come out and when it does you will lose root. The unknown though is how easy it will be to root after the fact. No one quite knows which holes they are going to plug.

tappin and a talkin

I learned the lesson about bloat the first time around. I had to put 3 apk's back before I did the 2.3.20 update. After learning that lesson I now have those apps "frozen" with Titanium Backup so all I have to do is defrost them before the update. Yes I lost root, but I was re-rooted in 15 minutes after the update and life has been good since then. I would "hope" it will be just as hassle free as last time. :)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes all you will have to do is defrost those apks

I too have my fingers crossed that root won't be broken but you just never know. That's why I wait untill I know for sure that I can root an update before doing it.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's smart Spaz!

I too have my fingers crossed that root won't be broken but you just never know. That's why I wait untill I know for sure that I can root an update before doing it.

tappin and a talkin

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

I did the same thing before I rooted and before I did the 2.3.20 update. I read ALOT. I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before I rooted, and I wanted to make sure getting root back after the update was going to happen. And I didn't want to be one of the ones posting a "HELP!!!" thread either. :)