I feel stupid

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Nothing unprofessional about his advice, he hit the nail on the head. Did he write a book about it? No. If the OP's response warranted it, Hook would have elaborated. Inappropriate? LOL far from it. Keep that finger off the trigger!

brando56894

Reaction score
Listen to the guys that say you dont need AV for anything unix/linux based, theyre correct. Since you seem to want to know the exact reason why here it is: It all has to do with the permissions the user has to the file system.

In windows the standard user usually has administrator rights and hence has (almost) uninhibited access to the file system so a virus uses this to its advantage in order to infect system files which the user has access to.

In a unix/linux based OS the standard user only has access to whats in their /home/[username]/ directory (think of this as something like "My Documents" folder in windows where all of your personal stuff gets stored) so if a virus was trying to spread itself around the system it would only be able to affect stuff in that one directory (unless the user ran the malicious code with super-user permissions), hence it would be easy to remove. By default this is how android is set up, you only have read/write access to your sdcard. If android viruses did begin to pop up the only ones that would really have to worry about it are the users that root their phones and this could probably be easily avoided by having su ask for a password when requesting root permissions.

Is that a good enough explanation for you? :)

BTW...my complaint was the unprofessional advice by hook.

Unprofessional? What is this a business?

iks

Reaction score
I need to install Anti-Moderator software.

AVG on the Android Market claims to protect against trojans, worms, malware. Should it be removed from the Market? Maybe the problem is definiton. AVG apparently equates virus with all of the above. I'll find out what I lose, if anything by uninstalling it, and will post the result here.

Sholuld there be a sticky or a banner telling customers not to install any AV software on your Droid or just some "AV" software,

My approach with forums is always to search first, but 90% of the time don't find anything enlightening and come across a lot of junk postings. There are exceptions.

In this case I was looking up how to add my name to the Lock screen, came upon the advice to ditch AV entirely, and it seemed irresponsible, especially in a thread that was not an AV discussion. I agree that posts can be simple, if you know your audience and respond appropriatelty.

So in this case it seems that "virus" means anything that replicates and attacks via the operating system/file system. It does NOT mean bad apps.

iks

Reaction score
So far no real information from AVG on their methods pf protection and what they are protecing against. And forums in general report show 90% saying no viruses on linux platforms.

But in my opinion (25 years in IT), three things point to reevaluation of the message sent to forum visitors.

1. Android is exploding and WILL get targeted somehow, someway. It's a challenge after all and more computing is migrating to handhelds and away from desktops and laptops.

2. Reputable companies offering "AV" software for Android platforms WILL grow. What are they actually protecting is the queston. Can the typical customer distinguish types of attacks?

3. The majority of smartphone and tablet users on the "exploding" Android market will NOT pay attention to the permissions requested by apps being installed.

I'm stil looking for answers from those suposedly reputable companies, but would recommend a posting of the anti-virus policy for this forum up front.