I can't get google voice to go into my contacts..

greyg00se19

Reaction score
For some reason, when I say "send text to jill, blah blah blah" it opens the text screen, but the "to:" field is blank and the message field reads "jill blah blah blah"

it won't call anyone in my contacts either, if i say call jill, it dials to jills restaurant, i guess some google search..

how do i fix this?

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your message title says Google Voice, but the body of your message appears to be referring to Voice Search. There is also another application called Voice Commands. It's likely no one has responded because they couldn't figure out exactly what your questions was.

Since I don't know either, which of these you are trying to use, I'll comment on all three.

I don't have a problem getting either Google Voice or Voice Commands to find my contacts.

Google Voice uses the contacts off of your Gmail account. In order it to find the contacts, you have to have voice and Gmail use the same login. The Gmail account also has to be the primary account on your phone. Of note: The sync of contacts to your gmail account doesn't work on the DroidX. If a contact is coming from Faceback, it will auto link to the same gmail contact, but it will not auto add to gmail. There's a bunch of complaints about this on the Motorola forum.

Voice search is hit or miss on locating my contacts. It always tries to search the web. Perhaps this is what your trying to use to find contacts on your phone.

Last edited:

grizer

Reaction score
I don't know if this helps, but whenever I send a voice text I have to say each part:

I have to say

"send text To: Bob Message: Hello"

Maybe its not catching what part you are trying to have it enter data for.

OP
greyg00se19

greyg00se19

Reaction score
Your message title says Google Voice, but the body of your message appears to be referring to Voice Search. There is also another application called Voice Commands. It's likely no one has responded because they couldn't figure out exactly what your questions was.

Since I don't know either, which of these you are trying to use, I'll comment on all three.

I don't have a problem getting either Google Voice or Voice Commands to find my contacts.

Google Voice uses the contacts off of your Gmail account. In order it to find the contacts, you have to have voice and Gmail use the same login. The Gmail account also has to be the primary account on your phone. Of note: The sync of contacts to your gmail account doesn't work on the DroidX. If a contact is coming from Faceback, it will auto link to the same gmail contact, but it will not auto add to gmail. There's a bunch of complaints about this on the Motorola forum.

Voice search is hit or miss on locating my contacts. It always tries to search the web. Perhaps this is what your trying to use to find contacts on your phone.

Thank you, I didn't know I had to add my contacts into gmail.. you would think google would have taken care of what seems an easy fix for them
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thank you, I didn't know I had to add my contacts into gmail.. you would think google would have taken care of what seems an easy fix for them
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Google did take care of it. This works fine on the Google experience phones. Motorola in their infinite wisdom decided they knew better what we need on a Blur device.

memlok

Reaction score
I have GV set "all calls=GV" in application, BUT, if you click Settings for phone (droid x), Applications / google voice, at bottom it says "no default for this application" !! And, When calling, it says "Using Regular Number" whereas for the last year, it has said Using Google Voice". and it showed the same 916......100 outgoing #, which I had added to Verizon F&F. Latest GV application started changing that outgoing # on every call, messing up the freebie. Many complained ~ they restored it (for awhile), now, it's back.

Still, my issue is I've had the Droid X or 3 days. it worked for 2 and will not dial using gv for the last 24 hours. Any clues?

It IS NOT DIALING my google voice #. People are seeing my Verizon mobile #. Google won't help me. Verizon won't help me. Motorola won't help me :)

For those wanting the old gv application, it is readily available with a search for it's apk.
PS I've tried uninstalling, softbooting (battery out) and re-installing. Nope!