Hulu Plus Made Official - No Mention of Android?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
28vyi9s.jpg

Introducing Hulu Plus. More Wherever. More Whenever. Than Ever.

Although linguists may not be too fond of the above slogan, it marks a monumental day in the advancement of mobile media. Today, Hulu has finally made official its subscription-based ad-supported service, dubbed Hulu Plus. We will first see Hulu Plus for the Iphone, Ipad, and Samsung Internet-connected TVs and Blu-Ray Players. Playstation 3 support is soon to follow. This is truly exciting news for the mobile world, where Hulu has been shut out of since its inception. Android enthusiasts do note, however, there is no mention of Android in the press release.

Some of the tech blogs are stating that an Android app is "soon to follow," while others believe that Android support "is imminent". I'd have to argue that there is nothing whatsoever to support these notions. Considering corporate track records with incorporation of Android into their services, I won't believe it until I see it on Android with my own two eyes.

The initial subscription to Hulu Plus will be a modest $10/month, which will give you access to "Season Tickets" of a variety of TV Shows, as well as all of Hulu's standard content.

You can currently sign up for a Preview Invite here. Whether or not we see it on Android, signing up for a free preview is worth a shot.

Here's an excerpt from the Press Release, explaining a bit more about the service:

Hulu Plus is not a replacement for Hulu.com. Hulu Plus is a new, revolutionary ad-supported subscription product that is incremental and complementary to the existing Hulu service. For almost all of the current broadcast shows on our service, Hulu Plus offers the full season. Every single episode of the current season will be available, not just a handful of trailing episodes. Now there’s never a bad time to jump in on a hot new show like Modern Family (which I recommend highly). From Family Guy to Glee, from The Office to 30 Rock, from Grey’s Anatomy to Desperate Housewives, from Parks & Recreation to Parenthood, from House to Saturday Night Live, and dozens of other hits, the best time to jump in on any series is any time, and with any episode, that’s right for you.
Another excerpt mentions that Hulu is hard at work porting Plus to "other platforms". Could this be referring to Android? Hmmm:

These are the devices shipping with Hulu Plus today. But this is just the first step in our mission to bring you TV wherever you are. We are already hard at work on porting Hulu Plus to other devices and platforms, with PlayStation 3 coming soon. But that’s a story for another day.
A full copy of the Press Release can be found here.

So, what are your thoughts here? Android will see this soon? Or will Apple's Iphone and Ipad have the luxury of watching Hulu, while Android is left in the dust? Let us know.

source: Hulu.com
Sign-up for Preview Invite Here

Last edited:

badazz74

Reaction score
Who wants to pay for an ad-supported service, if it doesn't come to the droid it won't hurt my feelings.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who wants to pay for an ad-supported service, if it doesn't come to the droid it won't hurt my feelings.

Agreed, weird that it would have ads, and still cost you. But they are providing a supplemental service, by providing full series' of TV shows, not just a select few of each show.

gothicfreek

Reaction score
yes it does

if you sign up for the beta they give you a check box for android operating system so jump on the beta sign up before its too latedancedroid

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Anyone paying for cable TV is doing just that, paying for an ad supported service.

I would pay for this if the shows were made available to subscribers at the same time the shows aired, depending on what the shows were.

I don't think I'd watch it much on this droid but a tablet, TV sized one, or phone that could plug into a TV would make more sense. Even then I'd be using it at remote locations TV is already tapped into our computers here.

I'm more interested in content being created/provided through alternative channels such as Pioneer One, The Guild, and Dr Horrible.

Good scoop on the news!

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
10 bucks a month?! They are acting like verizon!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does hulu have any real competitors?

Someone mentioned ovguide.com the other day. I visited it in my browser and just now tried it on my phone. It links you to various media sites, including Hulu.

badazz74

Reaction score

Anyone paying for cable TV is doing just that, paying for an ad supported service.

That's why I pay for HBO, Showtime, skinamax, ect. That's why I also pay for sirius radio.

However i do agree with your statement but I would not and will not pay for ad-supported hulu.dancedroid

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

That's why I pay for HBO, Showtime, skinamax, ect. That's why I also pay for sirius radio.

However i do agree with your statement but I would not and will not pay for ad-supported hulu.dancedroid
The main reason I'd pay for it, if it had same time releases as the TV stations is we got rid of cable tv over a year ago. We weren't watching it enough. It has a digital tuner. We get abc, cbs, nbc, fox and some other channels over the air, and even with sharper images than we got with cable. Those OTA channels plus Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and the station's websites themselves make up for the lack of cable tv when your computer is plugged into the TV anyways.

10 bucks a month for some of the non-network shows would be worth it. No idea if they'd have the shows I'd want though.

nagmier

Reaction score
if you sign up for the beta they give you a check box for android operating system so jump on the beta sign up before its too latedancedroid

There's also BB and Palm but that don't mean they are developing an app or even planning on allowing access... its just to gauge interest. Either way why in the heck would you pay and still be subjected to ads! I used to be a big hulu fan but then they went out of thier way to remove Froyo users access now no mention even though they mention Xbox360 in "Early 2011" so if its not mentioned we should think it will be at least past that!

Gonzo

Reaction score
Anyone else think 10 dollars a month is a little ridiculous? I could not justify paying that when i have netflix and hulu free on my computer already.

PorcPuffer

Reaction score
I pay 8.95 for netflx, and while they dont have every show or the season that is currently airing, they have a wide variety of TV show series and a huge amount of instant watch movies, personally i think netflix is a way better deal. But then again i barley ever watch TV shows while they are airing on a TV, I hate commercials.

rmcray08

Reaction score
I would consider dropping cable TV in favor of something like this.

I don't watch sports, I get my news online, and I'd be saving hundreds of dollars using it for a single year. It's not something that I would do on top of cable TV, however.