Huawei Ascend D Quad with Android ICS Officially Coming to the UK

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Huawei-Ascend-D-Quad-Android-ICS-UK.jpg

Our UK members will soon get a chance to try out the quad-core beast, the Ascend D Quad, from the Chinese company Huawei. The company said that the Ascend D Quad would “absolutely” be available to British customers, without giving any specifics on when that might happen. Rumors suggest July for a global launch. Here's a recap of specs:
  • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 4.5 inch IPS display with 1280 x 720 pixels
  • 1.2GHz custom quad-core processor developed by Huawei itself
  • 1GB of RAM
  • Dolby Mobile 3.0 Plus sound
  • 1.3MP front-facing camera
  • 8MP backside illuminated rear camera
There has not been a lot of info released regarding Huawei as a manufacturer (at least in international markets), and there is a common misconception that they are a low-end, small tier OEM. In actuality, they are one of the largest manufacturer's in China and are backed by the Chinese government. Their phones could actually be of top-tier quality. Knowing that, would any of you guys consider a phone from this manufacturer if they came to your country?

Source: UnWiredView

BigZig

Reaction score
With the recent article that rumored Google might Sell Moto to this company i think i might give them a look. It seems like they have there S**T together with launching a high end device like this but we will have to see how it works out. I know that when my contract ends in may next year i will be shopping for all carriers and phones now that Verizon wants to charge an upgrade fee.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Huawei already has US based phones. I know T-mobile carries them, and I think there may be other "alternative" carriers that offer them as well. I have no first hand knowledge of the phones, but my friend's step daughter got one, and he was impressed. They may be a virtual unknown in the US, but they were the first OEM to release a stable ICS beta, back in December. (Source)

I say more power to them, competition brings better technology to all of us!

jerkwad

Reaction score
"1.2GHz custom quad-core processor developed by Huawei itself"

That sounds like "budget" to me, just wrapped in a different cloth. I'm not saying that they can't / don't make quality processors, but I wonder how good they are when compared to the exynos/snapdragons/tegras/etc...anyone have any information on this?

I don't think I'd be any less likely to buy this just because it is made in China. TONS of things are made in China...Hell, wasn't the first MIUI rom put together by a bunch of dudes in China (pretty sure!)? IPads are manufactured in China and everyone and their mother's have 'em...non issue for me. If China wanted my contact and calendar information, I'm sure they'd already have hacked my GMail account for it ;-)

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'm sure their overseas phones are good, but they have yet to bring that level of quality over here. Most of Huawei's stuff goes to the lower end carriers like Metro, and what not. It's kind of like Kyocera. They have some cool designs over in Japan, but here they release some crappy stuff.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
[video=youtube;7x9wkMm-3Wc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x9wkMm-3Wc[/video]

Well, if the phone is anywhere near as smooth as this phone, I'd say this company knows what they're doing