HTML email with Liberty 1.5 exchange mail client

RiverRunsByIt

Reaction score
Pretty new to custom ROMs so go easy on me!

I have been running stock on my Droid 2 for a couple months and some hit and miss exchange email issues with the mot blur mail client were driving me crazy. I am not a big fan of Touchdown (UI is funky) and a friend suggested I try a ROM to see if it would help me with some of my issues. I decided to go with Liberty 1.5. I really like it but seem to have an issue with HTML emails coming from my corp exchange server. Any messages that have embedded image don't show up in the message, they come in as attachments. I get the placeholders for the images, but no images. Anyone else experiencing this with Liberty 1.5 exchange mail or is it just me? Any idea how to resolve? Would it be possible to replace the corp mail client included with Liberty with something else?

The Blur client on stock was crap. I wouldn't get messages for hours unless I manually refreshed. At least I am getting messages when they actually come in. Just wish the client supported HTML messages.

plutonium0587

Reaction score
Pretty new to custom ROMs so go easy on me!

I have been running stock on my Droid 2 for a couple months and some hit and miss exchange email issues with the mot blur mail client were driving me crazy. I am not a big fan of Touchdown (UI is funky) and a friend suggested I try a ROM to see if it would help me with some of my issues. I decided to go with Liberty 1.5. I really like it but seem to have an issue with HTML emails coming from my corp exchange server. Any messages that have embedded image don't show up in the message, they come in as attachments. I get the placeholders for the images, but no images. Anyone else experiencing this with Liberty 1.5 exchange mail or is it just me? Any idea how to resolve? Would it be possible to replace the corp mail client included with Liberty with something else?

The Blur client on stock was crap. I wouldn't get messages for hours unless I manually refreshed. At least I am getting messages when they actually come in. Just wish the client supported HTML messages.

I have this same problem. I just always thought it was something with our email and the way it was set up. I got one today and there are little question mark boxes where the images are supposed to be even if I click show images. They are all down at the bottom as attachments.

OP
R

RiverRunsByIt

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it is not my corp exchange server. Stock droid 2 blur mail and Touchdown had the images in a HTML formatted message. Just curious if there is a "fix" for this or perhaps different mail apk that could be replaced. Don't have enough experience to know if or how that would work.

plutonium0587

Reaction score
I did a little research and appears a lot of people have this problem. I even read one thing where it said this issue is even on Honeycomb already... seems like they need to get on top of this.

OP
R

RiverRunsByIt

Reaction score
Yeah...I did a little searching around and saw that it was an issue with some older releases and on specific manufacture platforms. Didn't see that it was still an issue on Honeycomb. Man, that really bites. If Android could nail down corporate email and do it well, they could grab a different set of users.

Jester822

Reaction score
I have the same issue with touchdown. I just assumed it was the corp being security nazis. I can't log in through the regular exchange method, only through touchdown. Good to know there may be hope.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

droiddave1

Reaction score
I switched back to a rooted stock blur rom from Liberty 1.5 for this and others reasons. One additonal reason is that moto applied a corp email filter that allows a very rudimentary search of corp email that stock froyo does not have. In all, I have to admit that the developers at moto do have some talent and made some nice improvements. There are some tweaks I do not care for, but there was more effort and money spent on moto blur than I imagine could be spent on Liberty. No disrespect to the Liberty developers, but there is something to be said for the resources moto has at its disposal. Fingers crossed that stock Gingerbread or Honeycomb have improvements in corp email services. Until then, when Google does what it is supposed to do, I will take the good with the bad and rely on moto and Blur to help with basic corp email functionality. Also of note, once I SBF'd back to stock, cleared data and cache, there was a huge performance improvement over the OTA patches I had received. Also of note, I was a OG Droid owner and enjoyed rom testing since the first custom roms were released.

In the meantime my sysadmin (a friend of mine) is threatening to up?grade himself and me to Verizon iPhones. Hopefully we can get these things resolved before Apple becomes tempting. Who would of thought Apple would solve corp email issues faster and better than Google and Motorola. Hmmmmmmm.

OP
R

RiverRunsByIt

Reaction score
Good suggestion on SBF'ing back to stock for some performance improvement. I think I saw some good tutorials on how to accomplish that. I really like the Liberty ROM except for my Exch mail issue. I wounder if the Blur mail client could be incorporated into it.

droiddave1

Reaction score
Your question is best answered by a developer. My extremeky limited knowledge of android development suggests that this is difficult to impossible because of the customizations that moto makes to the framework and other system elements to accommodate its modification of google applications. I think you would need to start over.

Hence, one could consider MOTO BLUR or HTC Sense as the ultimate custom roms with a very high dollar development budgets and quality assurance programs in place. But, these systems need to appeal to the masses and not just the enthusiast community. Moreover, with a locked bootloader the custom kernels that made OG Droid development attractive are limited.