HTC's Profits Nosedive by 58% in Quarter 2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-sign-metal.jpeg

It's funny how quickly a company can begin a downward spiral from a few missteps (or a few lawsuits from Apple). RIM and Nokia easily come to mind as companies struggling for survival in the heated battlefield of the technology retail sector. However, you wouldn't have thought the same thing about HTC just about a year ago. At that time, HTC was pretty much riding high on growing profits and was the number one Android smartphone manufacturer. Not so anymore. The end of last year was abysmal for them, and Quarter one of this year wasn't any better. Now they jut released their Quarter 2 financials and they hemorrhaged profit by a whopping 58% drop. That's a lot of bleeding!

They claimed the primary factors for the decline was the hold up in customs of their flagship phones because of the Apple lawsuit victory, and slower than expected sales. Hmmm... it looks like Apple's lawsuit war is taking its toll. Here's a quote from HTC with a brief and unaudited look at their financials,

HTC RELEASES UNAUDITED RESULTS FOR 2Q 2012

Taoyuan, Taiwan – July 6, 2012 – HTC Corporation (TWSE: 2498), a global leader in mobile innovation and design, today announces unaudited consolidated results for 2Q 2012. For the second quarter of 2012, total revenues reached NT$91.0 billion. Unaudited operating income was NT$8.2 billion, net income before tax was NT$8.9 billion, net income after tax, excluding minority interest, was NT$7.4 billion, and unaudited earnings per share after tax were NT$8.90 based on 831,227 thousand weighted average number of shares.

The HTC One X is an amazing phone. I wonder what its going to take for HTC grow strong again?

Source: BGR

Caesars

Reaction score
No doubt, i thought about double phoning again just for the Evo LTE lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jseah

Reaction score
If they had the HTC One X on Verizon, I would have gotten that instead of the GSIII. It's a shame that all Verizon is getting is a mid-range Incredible LTE.

Caesars

Reaction score
Maybe I'll just grab a boost evo design to play with my maxx lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep. I agree with you guys. It was really dumb of VZW not to carry the phone.

champaned_out

Reaction score
htc makes nice phones but after the thunderbolt... i wont buy another htc product until they realize you need more than 1400-1800mAh batteries to keep their phones from being useful past noon

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then to top it off, they throw out a fantastic ONE X with a non removable 1800mAh battery "and keep it off the largest US carrier with the largest LTE network, AT&T does not even come close", just throw a bigger battery in there, and who really cares if it is a millimeter thicker, their marketing department needs to be shot, same way they botched the Rezound which is a fantastic phone. All those missteps will kill you in this torturous mobile market.

Last edited:

kparks

Reaction score
Then to top it off, they throw out a fantastic ONE X with a non removable 1800mAh battery "and keep it off the largest US carrier with the largest LTE network, AT&T does not even come close", just throw a bigger battery in there, and who really cares if it is a millimeter thicker, their marketing department needs to be shot, same way they botched the Rezound which is a fantastic phone. All those missteps will kill you in this torturous mobile market.

i agree with u and all there adds focus on is the damn beats by dre that no1 cares about! they need to talk about speed the width and how its got the best screen in a mobile phone not that its got beats. i think htc make the best phones hands down and the one x is a amazing device but they need BIGGER BATTERIES!! if the one x with a 2000+ MHA battery was on vzw i would own it right now and not be waiting for a gs3! they need to find a flagship name and stick with it like samsung is doing and improve on it

Last edited:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
kparks said:
i agree with u and all there adds focus on is the damn beats by dre that no1 cares about! they need to talk about speed the width and how its got the best screen in a mobile phone not that its got beats. i think htc make the best phones hands down and the one x is a amazing device but they need BIGGER BATTERIES!! if the one x with a 2000+ MHA battery was on vzw i would own it right now and not be waiting for a gs3! they need to find a flagship name and stick with it like samsung is doing and improve on it

I myself would had upgraded to the One X myself if it was on Verizon, they lost a huge market opportunity.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS using Droid Forums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This is exactly what Apple wants with all the lawsuits. You had a major contender and their lawsuits managed to get them to nosedive. Hows that for competition.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple can kiss my rear end, their downfall can not come soon enough. Just like Jobs met his faith so will Apple, Evil does eventually fail.

mgrande

Reaction score
Put a 3300 mah battery in the one x and offer it on Verizon, profit problems solved!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

kparks

Reaction score
mgrande said:
Put a 3300 mah battery in the one x and offer it on Verizon, profit problems solved!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Lmao put a 3300mha battery in the one x and offer it on all 4 carriers and say hello to 1st place! Not sure what htc don't understand

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
HTC unlocked their bootloader, a Verizon NO NO, the big red Gorilla got angry, just like Verizon is the only carrier with the S3 that has a locked bootloader, on every other carrier it's ready to be moded, WTF Verizon.