HTC One M7 & M8 Google Play Editions to Receive Android 5.0 Lollipop on Friday November 21st

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-one-m7-m8-play-editions-lollipop.jpeg

For folks who own the Google Play Edition of the HTC One M8 or M7, this Friday (November 21st) will be a happy day for you. That is the day that Google and HTC will start pushing out Android 5.0 Lollipop to these devices. Or at least that's the new estimated target date Tweeted from HTC.

If the Google Play Edition is coming out this soon, then it's possible that Lollipop will not be too far off for the other versions of these devices. Of course, HTC has to spend time cramming their Sense UI into Android 5.0, so that could take a while. If we had to guess, it's a good bet that Android 5.0 will come to all versions of the HTC One M7 and M8 devices by February of 2015.

Sound off if you have one of these phones. Here are the HTC One M7 & HTC One M8 sections for more discussions:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have to admit owning the M7 has not only been a very positive experience (even including the time I sent it in to get the USB port replaced), but the frosting on the cake is that I am consistently one of the first on the block (metaphorically speaking) to get the latest OTA update. Kudos to you HTC.

HOWEVER...having seen Lollipop on my wife's N7, I also have to admit I'm not that dazzled. Normally when updates start to go out I press the "check for update" button over and over and over, but since I already have the updated gmail and Maps, I have two of the "Lollipop" apps I use most anyway. Material Design leaves me totally cold. I HAVE to believe this is some kind of intentional step backwards by Google so they can wow us with the next major update. It's REALLY...unimpressive, though I DO like the way the new pull-down notifications work. Maybe I suffer from the mood disorder called, "Gee since Jelly Bean everything pretty much just works on my phone now and the rest is gravy!"

-Matt