HTC M8 Dual-Camera Supposedly Demoed at MWC With Special Features Included

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-m8-dual-camera-maybe.jpg

The company which supposedly designed and built the new dual-camera system coming in the HTC M8 demonstrated the technology at Mobile World Congress recently. This new camera tech was designed by Qualcomm and Corephotonics and will apparently include a number of advanced features designed to improve pictures taken with the next HTC One (or any phone which uses the tech).

The two-camera system allows for a feature called Computational Photography Zoom which can offer better creativity options to the end user. Primarily, this new advancement allows the device to achieve an optical zoom which is 5x greater than the typical 3x zoom. To be clear, the company, Corephotonics, didn't officially state that their tech will be what is present in the new HTC One, but according to the source of this story, their "coyness" when the right questions were posed indicated it is a very strong likelihood. (Sometimes what you don't say speaks volumes.)

At any rate, the new camera tech doesn't just include this new zooming capability, it also includes the ability to create depth of field effects and can even change that afterwards. The next iteration of the HTC One (aka the M8) is due to be launched on March 25th.

Source: Pocket-Lint

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
My best guess is 3D (depth of field) functionality. That would spur the development of 3D screens in mobiles.
AKA everybody needs a new phone, except us one eyed cyclops.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My best guess is 3D (depth of field) functionality. That would spur the development of 3D screens in mobiles.
AKA everybody needs a new phone, except us one eyed cyclops.

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

I don't think so, they are too close together. I'm betting its for focusing and depth of field (not in terms of 3D, but in terms of bokeh) by one focusing on the object to be in focus and the other being focused (or not focused for the blur affect) on the background.

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
I don't think so, they are too close together. I'm betting its for focusing and depth of field (not in terms of 3D, but in terms of bokeh) by one focusing on the object to be in focus and the other being focused (or not focused for the blur affect) on the background.

My thoughts exactly. You could also do simultaneous HDR with one camera doing the long exposure and one doing the short exposure, thereby reducing the time required to capture an HDR image. However the two depths of focus sounds more likely. I would imagine this would be done in a similar format to HDR where you combine two images with different depths of focus into one image. I think the effect might be neat, but will it avoid the gimmicky feel?

combatmedic870

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. You could also do simultaneous HDR with one camera doing the long exposure and one doing the short exposure, thereby reducing the time required to capture an HDR image. However the two depths of focus sounds more likely. I would imagine this would be done in a similar format to HDR where you combine two images with different depths of focus into one image. I think the effect might be neat, but will it avoid the gimmicky feel?

No it will not.
Alot of P&S cameras feature stuff like this. The pictures usually dont turn out so well.
Why is it so hard to produce a phone with a NEW 6MP 1/2.3 sensor. With larger photosites, in theory it should give cleaner images....But with out the correct software it doesnt really matter. HTC needs to team up with nikon. Nikons sales are doing horribly do to camera phones. Why not join in and make some money.

jspradling7

Reaction score
HTC needs to team up with nikon. Nikons sales are doing horribly do to camera phones. Why not join in and make some money.

Nikon is plummeting fast. I love my D80 but it stays in the bag unused now. They need to adapt to the changing market quickly. Slugging it out with Canon for the professional sales market doesn't seem like a long term plan option.

Was there any truth in the Nexus 5 camera being Nikon?
This is the upcoming Vivo phone with rotating Nikon-branded camera and EXPEED processor | Nikon Rumors

Last edited:

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Nikon is plummeting fast. I love my D80 but it stays in the bag unused now. They need to adapt to the changing market quickly. Slugging it out with Canon for the professional sales market doesn't seem like a long term plan option.

Was there any truth in the Nexus 5 camera being Nikon?
This is the upcoming Vivo phone with rotating Nikon-branded camera and EXPEED processor | Nikon Rumors

No the nexus 5's camera is sony. Heck all of nikons sensors are either sony or toshiba made. I think the last in house sensor they made was with the D3s. Nikon can definently unlock the potential of sensors. that is one thing they are masters of(bar the 14MP sensor of horror.).