htc-like widgets on moto droid listing and questions

tktouch12

Reaction score
1) how can htc force deveolopers to stop making widgets that 'look' like theirs? and what can they do? there are tons of jailbroken themes for iphone that look like other stuff (bb storms, zunes, android, etc) (and there are themes for other phones to look like iphone) none of those things get in trouble so what can htc do? really! this is ridiculous
2) if eris got rooted, could we get the actual widgets and port them to the moto droid? (obviously the widgets are what i miss about the eris)

now, i dont know if one exsists, but if not, we should make a list of market widgets that replicate the htc widgets as best as possible.

beautiful widgets- covers one of the clock styles for htc (but now its different because htc told them to stop, (i dont see how they can do that, they are stealing images, just stealing design ideas which i doubt are 'patented'))

pure grid calendar widget- looks/ works like the big calendar widget. (unfortunately they changed the look because of the incident with beautiful widgets :mad: )

anyone know others that are similar to other great htc widgets?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not happy about HTC's decision with Beautiful Widgets either but I can understand their concern if Beautiful Widgets used the same coding as HTC. Then it's no different than plagiarism. Who knows what's going on with that fiasco though.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
O so they pretty muchjust took the coding and called it something else? So that's bad, but couldn't they just make something that looks the same but make their own images/ code?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
O so they pretty muchjust took the coding and called it something else? So that's bad, but couldn't they just make something that looks the same but make their own images/ code?
No one knows... all we know is after HTC sent the cease & desist, the UI of Beautiful Widgets changed in order for it to stay on the Market. Then HTC said they wanted to review the app so they had Google take it off the Market. All we know is HTC is reviewing Beautiful Widgets. Other than that it's all speculation.

and second part of your post... I believe you can... which is probably why Weather Widget (which is identical to Beautiful Widgets first UI) has been left alone.

Not sure anyone knows for sure. It's pretty much all a mystery. All we know is Beautiful Widgets has been gone for a few days now.

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
does anyone know of other ones that mock htc widgets?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if they match 100%... but pure grid calendar, pure calendar agenda, and pure grid messenger all look similar to HTC widgets