HTC Eris with 2.0 / Eclair Release Date? Searched ...

jgortner

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the forums and excited to join the Droid community. Had boring phones my whole life and really looking forward to HTC Eris.

I think I love the HTC Eris. I went to Best Buy and tried the Motorola Droid and hated it. But I LOVE everything Android 2.0 / Eclair has.

- HOW LONG do I have to wait to buy the phone with 2.0+ installed?
- If I get it now, can I easily upgrade to Android 2.0?

ALSO: Any cautions / hazards with the phone I should know about? The only thing I NEED it a horizontal keyboard for texting and all my other applications (contacts, calendar, web, etc.) Any problems there?

Thanks so much all!

Justin

sgoldwa

Reaction score
Congrats on your decision to go with the Eris.

The main thing I would encourage you to do, right off the bat, s to condition your battery by running it down fully three days in a row, and charging it up fully overnight. The main complaint by many people is poor battery life ... once I did this my battery really improved.

Also, make sure not to use any Visual Voicemail applications, like the one built into the phone or YouMail. Those apps don't allow your phone ton fully go into sleep mode, and your battery life will get killed because of it.

Enjoy your phone!

sgoldwa

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the Eric's on-screen keyboard is arguaby BETTER than the Motorola's physical one (and due to the Sense UI that HTC uses, the on-screen keyboard is definitely a TON better than Mot's on-screen keyboard).

I know. I had the Motorola and traded it for an Eris after about 7 days. I actually type better and have a more satisfying experience on the Eris.

Make sure to do a keyboard calibration when you get the phone (it's easy to do and other forum posts will help you find it in the menuing system).

TatDroid

Reaction score
I have a Moto Droid, my daughter just got the Droid Eris. The Droid may be perceived by many as a masculine phone - it's big, square, and heavy. The Eris is less masculine - it's smaller, slimmer, lighter, and has rounded edges. I love my Droid. She loves her Eris. One of the mail reasons I got my Droid (3 weeks ago, now) was for the physical keyboard, but after the first week or 10 days I got really used to the onscreen keyboard and I find I rarely use the physical keyboard any more.

The Droid is noticably faster than the Eris. It's faster to load apps, it's faster on the web, and it's faster to switch from from portrait to landscape mode when you rotate the phone. The Eris has a noticeable pause when you rotate it - it pauses for a second, then the keyboard goes gray for a second, and then it rotates. It takes 2 or 3 seconds. Not a big deal, but I was used to the almost instantaneous rotation of my Droid, so it was noticeable.

But as I said, my daughter LOVES it. She loves the apps, and she loves having push email and internet (her first smart phone) She's had it for 2 days now and is still getting used to the onscreen keyboard, but it's just a matter of practice and familiarity. She's already getting pretty fast with her texts.

kekchi

Reaction score
Update for the eris will be coming in 2010:
HTC DROID Eris getting OS upgrade in Q1 2010 Boy Genius Report

"We’ve received word that the HTC DROID Eris on Verizon Wireless will definitely be getting an OS upgrade sometime in Q1. We haven’t been told exactly what OS version it will be (Android 1.6, 2.0, 2.1), just that Google Maps Navigation will be included."

skunis1

Reaction score
Update for the eris will be coming in 2010:
HTC DROID Eris getting OS upgrade in Q1 2010 Boy Genius Report

"We’ve received word that the HTC DROID Eris on Verizon Wireless will definitely be getting an OS upgrade sometime in Q1. We haven’t been told exactly what OS version it will be (Android 1.6, 2.0, 2.1), just that Google Maps Navigation will be included."

Just saw this over on phonescoop!

Today Verizon Wireless spokesperson Brenda Raney said in an email to Phone Scoop that the HTC Droid Eris will be updated to at least Android 2.0 -- with Google Maps Navigation and Sense UI -- during the first quarter of 2010. Depending on the timing, the Eris may even be updated to Android 2.1. The Droid Eris currently runs Android 1.5. :)

jimmerz

Reaction score
Well I found this forum a little too late... Even though I am now a few days into my new Eris can I start the battery conditioning or am I too late? The first day I let it run down to about 12% and then plugged it in But I have yet to let the phone completely drain. :(