few easy questions about eris rooting, etc. please help

tktouch12

Reaction score
hi,
i have a moto droid, but im thinking about buying an eris off ebay because i love sense, and i can use whichever i like better until i get the next htc phone.

i have a few questions:
1) can i root an eris if it already has 2.1 on it?
2) is there a rom for the eris that has all the sense on it (i love sense) but that has 2.2 features? (like maybe ported from the incredible)
3) eventually i might give the eris to my little brother to use as a music player/video player/wifi device/android apps(games) device.. if i do this it wont be activated. can he use it not activated but have all other features still work besides text and phone?

thanks

vacobra1

Reaction score
hi,
i have a moto droid, but im thinking about buying an eris off ebay because i love sense, and i can use whichever i like better until i get the next htc phone.

i have a few questions:
1) can i root an eris if it already has 2.1 on it?
2) is there a rom for the eris that has all the sense on it (i love sense) but that has 2.2 features? (like maybe ported from the incredible)

thanks

1) Yes you can if it has 2.1 on it go to here its not hard at all and works great - Universal Eris Root for Dummies! - Android Forums
I just did mine about a week ago and overclocked it to 748 with setcpu Im actually getting very good battery life now that I have a few things tweeked with setcpu it functions normaly and I did the app2sd so now when I install apps it installs to the sd card not the phone memory.

2) [ROM]KaosFroyo V24 [07/21] [FROYO] - xda-developers

vacobra1

Reaction score
do it its easy
i was scard at first but the link i sent if you read it and follow the directions its very simple and pretty safe. They give you pictures so its kinda hard to mess up. You wont lose any functions that you have it works exactly the same only better. The rom runs more smoothly then the factory and then you overclock it and its night and day I wouldnt ever go back makes the phone so much better

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the help.

NOw does anyone know if i can use it unactivated (#3)?

Thanks

OP
T

tktouch12

Reaction score
And btw, im not new to this. I have a droid rooted and i know my way around adb and stuff

HTC D

Reaction score
Rooted my Eris 3 days ago. I'm completely new to this as this is my first Android device as of 1 week ago. Tried a few different ROMS, Plain Jane, ZenEXP, Evil Eris, and KaosFroyo and the best one so far in my opinion is KaosFroyo v23. Any Sense ROMS (2.1) will have a dialer lag and thats the reason why I rooted to begin with. Only bad thing about using a 2.2 ROM is having the camera not working unless you use a laggy market app.

myeris.png

Last edited:

vacobra1

Reaction score
When they get the camra working on KaosFroyo I will be making the switch but untill then Im more then Happy with Plainjane

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
for your third question yes you can use it unactivated and your little brother can even have texting and calling if he would like using google voice and and a voip service there are many tutorials on how to get voip working for free with google voice

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
for your third question yes you can use it unactivated and your little brother can even have texting and calling if he would like using google voice and and a voip service there are many tutorials on how to get voip working for free with google voice

Just one qualification: while he is connected to the internet through WIFI. Just wanted the OP to be clear. :)

tiggerxplur

Reaction score

Just one qualification: while he is connected to the internet through WIFI. Just wanted the OP to be clear. :)

thank you for adding that

aslo to if you decide to wipe the phone before you give it to him he will need a gmail account to use it and if it doesnt have service the you can touch the four coners of the screen starting at the top right going clockwise on the very first screen when you start it up like new and it will skip everything then you can start up the wifi and you can sign in when you open the market

all that work cause there is no option to turn on wifi on durning the set up

jhart15063

Reaction score
i thought all froyo roms were based off of cyanogenmod 6, which is stock android, which doesn't have sense. so you can't have a sense 2.2 rom. right? im not sure....but there are other sense based 2.1 roms that have 2.2 features like, XtrSENSE3.1 which has JIT and a2sd http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=726467

edit: oh and adobe flash player 10

Last edited: