HP is Planning to Offer a 'differentiated experience' With Their Android Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hp-slate-7-aa-standing.jpg

HP has already shown they are committed to the Android brand by announcing several new Android based products like the Slate 7 and the Slatebook X2. There has been some speculation that HP would eventually offer an HP Android smartphone of some kind, as the company is supposedly planning to "aggressively attack" the smartphone and tablet markets. Obviously, so far, they have only announced Android tablets, but now there are hints from within the company that a new HP Android smartphone is on the Horizon, and that HP plans to offer a unique product.

An HP Asia Pacific exec was recently asked if they were planning an Android smartphone, and here was his response,

The answer is yes but I cannot give a timetable. It would be silly if we say no. HP has to be in the game.

He elaborated,

Being late you have to create a different set of proposition. There are still things that can be done. It’s not late. When HP has a smartphone, it will give a differentiated experience.

So, what kind of "differentiated experience" do you think they could offer that would make you consider an HP smartphone?

Source: AndroidAuthority

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon-Palm-Pre-2-official.jpg

Let's see what they can do.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
How about an android device with a WebOS style launcher?

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

Yellowhammer

Reaction score
I don't have faith in HP to innovate. They have been a follower for too long, and typically enter a market late and with mediocre quality control.

xtor

Reaction score
My wife use to work for hp years ago as a website tester, and always said their computers sucked, but they made great printers. I guess we will see what they come out with.

sent from a note yee

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
HP is a lot like Dell in the mobile world. They release a few phones and they flop. They wait a few years then try to "revolutionize" again.

Let me see if I can guess this out:

- Will come with decent specs. Nothing mind blowing, but it'll be okay
- Will run 4.0/4.1 (even if it comes out a year from now, it will run an extremely outdated version)
- It will be heavily skinned and filled with HP stuff. A dedicated app to find ink for your HP printer ;)
- It will not launch on any carrier. Meaning you'll have to pay for it unlocked from HP
- No one will buy it and HP will just let it die off

Reaction score
HP is a lot like Dell in the mobile world. They release a few phones and they flop. They wait a few years then try to "revolutionize" again.

Let me see if I can guess this out:

- Will come with decent specs. Nothing mind blowing, but it'll be okay
- Will run 4.0/4.1 (even if it comes out a year from now, it will run an extremely outdated version)
- It will be heavily skinned and filled with HP stuff. A dedicated app to find ink for your HP printer ;)
- It will not launch on any carrier. Meaning you'll have to pay for it unlocked from HP
- No one will buy it and HP will just let it die off

Even if you don't have their stuff. "Oh you wanted computer drivers? Here's a bunch of bloatware and... You guessed it... Printer software. You know, for that printer you don't have?" Did I get the experience right?

Sent from my IdeaTabS2109A-F using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Even if you don't have their stuff. "Oh you wanted computer drivers? Here's a bunch of bloatware and... You guessed it... Printer software. You know, for that printer you don't have?" Did I get the experience right?

Sent from my IdeaTabS2109A-F using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Yeah, pretty much.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Verizon-Palm-Pre-2-official.jpg

Let's see what they can do.

This is why it will never work.

HP had WebOS. A mobile OS that could have easily been #3 (even verizon thought so). If it could have matured at the rate of iOS and Android it would have been amazing. The problem was there weren't devices coming out fast enough for it, and the ones that did were complete rehashes. HP got it and had these amazing plans, but never implemented any of them. Then when they did it was like "OH, too late, LOL".

Probably the only successful WebOS device from them was the TouchPad, and that's only when it got discontinued.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Considering HP's luck outside of computers and printers I don't think this will be a good thing for them.